• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new Dell desktop for work. Help me identify RAM upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KillrBuckeye

I was just given a "new" desktop after complaining that my horribly outdated laptop (P3 Tulatin 1.2GHz, 256MB DDR200 :rolleyes: ) was stifling my productivity. I write engineering simulation code, and I found it absolutely ridiculous that I was stuck with such crap for hardware. I would often bring work home, because an analysis run that took around 8 hours on my work PC might run in about 1 hour on my home PC. That's not an exaggeration, either.

Anyhow, my replacement, at least temporarily, is a crappy Dell Optiplex GX280. Here are the main specs:

Intel Celeron D 2.53 GHz (533 MHz Bus)
256 MB PC4200 DDR2
Integrated video

I know very little about Intels, so I was hoping to get some information. First of all, in the BIOS, the memory information page lists a memory speed of 400 MHz, but says that it's DDR2 SDRAM. Is this a mistake in the BIOS? The CPU information claims a 533 MHz bus, so which is it? If I go to Dell's website and search for RAM upgrades for this machine, it lists some PC4200 DDR2.

The bottom line is that I'm looking to upgrade the amount of memory, even if I have to pay out of pocket, because 256MB (248MB after the integrated video steals its 8 MB :rolleyes: ) for Windows XP and memory-hungry engineering simulation software is just unacceptable. I am constantly accessing the page file during daily tasks.

So my remaining questions are as follows:
- Does this Intel socket/chipset support dual channel memory?
- For a Dell system like this, assuming I don't care about dual channel functionality, can I just buy some generic value RAM instead of going through Dell? The amount Dell charges for memory is staggering: $100 for a 512MB stick compared to $40 for a comparable module from Newegg.
- In the mean time, how big should I make the page file? I know it's 1.5 times the physical memory by default, but will it help me if I set the page file to 3x or 4x the physical memory to avoid bogging down?

Thanks for your help!

If you look at this page:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...tix_gx280?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~tab=specstab

it states it takes either Non-ECC 533 mhz OR 400 mhz DDR2 ram. If the BIOS is listing 400 mhz, you have 400 mhz DDR2 Ram then. And if you plan to upgrade the ram, don't go through Dell, unless your works pay for it. It's cheaper to buy it elsewhere.

Also, I understand your feeling. Though my work machine is a P4 3ghz with 512 megs of RAM, it's still feels slow since I do a lot of software development and alogrithm work.

Great, thanks for finding that. So I guess now the question becomes 768 MB PC2-3200 without dual channel, or 512 MB PC2-3200 with dual channel? I'm leaning towards 768 MB, because I really can't stand the slow-downs resulting from running out of physical memory.

How about my question regarding the page file? If I constantly run out of physical memory, would it be better to increase the size of my page file? I'm not clear on what happens if the memory usage exceeds the size of the page file. Thanks.

=ACID RAIN= said:
If you want guaranteed compatible ram, go to www.memoryx.com. You can search by motherboard, OEM model, brand, whatever. I use it for work upgrades and I have never had any trouble with them. I mean it's a dell, it's not like you're going to make it faster with super performance ram. Just get what works with it.

EDIT: Here's a link:
http://store.yahoo.com/memx/deopgxdeme.html

I see what your sayign but why pay $50 bucks for 1 512stick when you can pay $30 and get 1 gig dual channel?

Back