• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a spare case? Make a Hydroponics lab.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fuzzba11 said:
Nice find :D It would work great, but as for keeping it secret from your roommates, they will definitely notice the smell! :-Y

Growing or smoking? The thing has an ozone generator or something that helps reduce the smell coming from it.

I love the antfarm mod tho.. can only see in the case where they dig. Poor ants when you need to open it up. :eek:

JT

i was just fooling around, but hey, i should try new things. For the birdhouse/cage, i think a horizantal desktop case with enough vertical height should work. Use a removable motherboard tray to clean out the poop :)
edit:for the ant farm, a glass side panel seems good.

Last edited:
JTanczos said:
I love the antfarm mod tho.. can only see in the case where they dig. Poor ants when you need to open it up. :eek:

JT

They have little kits for antfarms. I had one as a kid. I felt bad and let them go. But this would be easy to make into a window.

s60174000.jpg

http://sciencekit.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_435246&sid=steveant

using a whole case for an ant farm would seem to be overkill...would u use the external drive bays to give out the food?

This case is absurd and I'll tell you why.

It uses a 50 watt sodium bulb and I can tell he is growing two tomato plants, I can tell that the space between the nodes that the plant is not getting sufficient light. He would have been better off using several plant spectrum fluorescent tubes so the light is concentrated in the middle of the plant rather than the top, sure he's using mylar on the sides but the plant is still to elongated between nodes with a 16" max height of the plant, he should have at the very least used a 50 watt Metal halide bulb as the sodium bulb is used for when you want to decrease the time of exposure for fruiting, and with tomatoes thats 12 hours on and 12 hours off with a sodium bulb. The spectrum is all wrong for general growth using a sodium.

I studied advanced hydroponics at college and at several kibbutz's in Israel, checked out several hydroponic outfits in Amsterdam as well ;)

I'm going to put a plastice box in a 10$ case and sell it on ebay as an aquarium pc case! I can see the profits now.

As far as the working greenhouse pc idea goes.. grow lights put out far too much heat to be inside the case with a computer. Sectioned off or not. They just get too hot.

Back