• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Alignment Affects on 100% Load Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveB

Been doing some benching in my Ryzen 7 1700X ATX system and my Coffee Lake i7-8700 ITX setup. Using the same Zotac Mini GTX 1080 in both, I noticed a roughly 15C difference in max temperature when looping the Unigine Heaven DX11 GPU benchmark. In the ATX case, where the GPU sits horizontal with the backplate facing up, the temp got to 91C. Even installing a slot fan under the GPU blowing outside air directly into the dual GPU fans did not help, the temp still went to 91C. In the mini ITX case, where the GPU sits vertically the temps only got to around 76C. While there were no problems with the GPU running in either configuration, I wasn't expecting such a significant difference.

The Silverstone SUGO SG05BB case, while very small, does have a vented panel on the left side adjacent to the GPU allowing both fans to draw in cool room air. But I suppose most of the cooling is the result of the vertical configuration which allows heat from the heatsink fins to dissipate up and out of the top of the case. In the traditional horizontal configuration used in most PC cases, the rising heat is trapped by the GPU circuit board and heats it up. I'm guessing the relatively small size (8.3") of the Zotac mini GTX 1080 exacerbates this but still I was not expecting such a delta. You live and learn.

Last edited:
No problem, slight correction. In the mini ITX box it hit 76C max. I'll correct the initial post.

Makes those 90° MountainMods/CaseLabs cases that orient PCIe slots vertically ever so slightly more appealing, then. Still not sure they're worth it, though :p

I'm thinking with a pair of tin snips and some cable ties, you could fabricate a vertical mount in a typical ATX case in less than 30 minutes. Just have to buy a 30cm (12") or so PCI-E x16 3.0 Riser Cable for $10 to $20 to connect it to the motherboard x16 slot.

Makes those 90° MountainMods/CaseLabs cases that orient PCIe slots vertically ever so slightly more appealing, then. Still not sure they're worth it, though :p
One of these days I'll put my gpu in my other case and see how it fares compared to my MM case.

Back