• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU fan headers, standard pinout?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

As posted previously I've had to manually replace fans on some GPUs before with case fans when they fail. One thing I never did was connect those fans to the GPU, and instead they currently get powered separately. I'd like to revisit reconnecting them to the GPU, but I never kept the failed fans as reference. Anyone know if the 4 pin fan headers on GPUs follow the same pattern as the mobo, or could it vary by manufacturer? They use a different physical connector, but its still 4 pins. So wondering if it would still be ground, 12V, rpm, pwm or could order be different?

Why not keep them on the mobo ? you got extra OC room (theoretically) as the GPU is using less power on the fans ;)

I've already un-overclocked them as the factory OC traded of massive increase in power consumption for a tiny boost in performance. Remember, my OC optimisation is good performance for low power, not best performance full stop. These are older cards anyway, so where performance is important I can just use a faster system.

The other reason is I move cards around a fair bit. It would be a lot easier to have the cards self contained, without having to worry about mobo fan settings.

Back