• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU for autoCAD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itachiii

Hello guys,
I've been building a new rig with a friend who is currently studying engineering. It's his first year so don't expect any complex 3D models for tiny mechanical bits or something and the pc will be also used for light gaming and surfing mostly.The budget is around 650€. So far I've been going with this build:

AMD FX 6300 - 97€
Asus M5A97 R.2 - 97€
GPU ??? (Was thinking something like an 260x or a 750Ti)
Mushkin Stealth 2x4GB 1600MHz - 76€
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - 68€ HDD: WD Scorpio Caviar Blue 1TB - 59€

Without a GPU we are at around 400€. So I got 250€ for monitor, mouse/keyboard, GPU and case. Should I go for cheaper CPU/MB combo?

Thanks in advance!

your going to be working the snot out of it so your going to have to clock the cpu so a better board is in order.
you will need a better board, look to the sabertooth or you will regret it.
will autocad use 8 cores? if so the 8350 is the way to go.
if you have to use amd 6 core get the 6350, it's just better
for cad work 16 gigs of ram will be better with 32 gigs even better even at 1333.
if he wants to use this rig for a few years and plans to do heavy cad work go intel.

The problem is the budget though... I'm stricted to 650 - 700€ for everything. The tower and peripherals. He won't be doing much of a complex designing so an OC'ed 6100 or 6300 I think would be up for the task. But, I would need someone more experienced than me to guide me here :p

go with a sabertooth and a 6350, the m5a97 will last months not years, I,ve done the fx on an m5a97, the vrms are not up to the job.

8GB of ram will really restrict you as well. I would look into a minimum of 16GB. I understand you have a VERY tight budget, but trust me of all the CAD systems I've run I wouldn't even consider anything less then 12GB's. IMHO you'd be better off dropping the SSD for the additional ram and just run off the HDD.

As far as Graphics go if he's not doing much 3D work he could probably get away with a 750Ti but keep in mind once he starts doing the 3D rendering things can and will likely get real "choppy". I would stick with nVidia as the Cuda cores really make a difference.

Best of Luck

as far as the gpu the 780 is the lowest i might go, the 750 will be much to weak next year, and like I said 16 gigs of ram, 1333 will be fast enough.
in my 8 processor monster it's vast amounts of slow ram and many cores running at stock that gets the job done.
I was amazed how little i could get done at home with my 8350 even overclocked, I could only really do rinky-dinky things, like pedal mounts and a foot box on a good day without pulling my hair out waiting for it to render.

ok so I will be dropping that SSD and get a Caviar black so I can upgrade RAM. Will be going for the 750Ti for now and I'll be upgrading later or if I get the budget I'll be going for the 780.

The 750Ti will be the bottleneck and it'll be the first thing you'll want to replace once he starts doing 3D rendering. Then look for Maximum Cuda cores and Vram.

I'm wondering if SLI would work in this situation. Caddi_Daddi have you ever done any CAD work in SLI?

Yeah the Quadro's are way out of his range which is why I'm wondering. I'm on a Quadro 2000 right now but was on a 4000. They both seem to be fine for Catia V5.

Plus I'm thinking this is for school stuff. I can't imagine the widgets getting to complex.

I just talked to my computer guy and he says the quadro k620 will be fine with autocad in school and less than $200.00 to boot.

I just talked to my computer guy and he says the quadro k620 will be fine with autocad in school and less than $200.00 to boot.

I can find the k620 for about 170€.. Not bad.. Just for clarification, this guy doesn't want to build a workstation exclusively. He will be running two monitors and he wanna be able to do light gaming. K620 won't have a problem right? Haven't used any Quadro before..

I don't know for game, for cad yes.
I tried making a dual use rig, it just made me use many bad words.

Does anyone know if you can still soft-mod a geforce into a qaudro? That's one way to lesson bad words in dual use. lol

I did a little googling & saw resistor replacements being done (along with soft-mod) to create a K5000 from a GTX680. yikes!

Last edited:
I've done light gaming on my quadro workstations and it worked fine. I've also done light CAD on my Gaming Rig. Not as much fun, but I was able to do what I needed to without having to go in to work.

Back