• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU in PCIe x4 slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read that as 10w on startup and 25w after startup.

Well, that's a bit more comforting, but still.. 25W really isn't a lot. What happens if the cards max draw is more than that? Does it simply get throttled or tries to draw more and crashes?

Also, is folding in anyway way comparable to the loads/processes taking place while playing a game? Another forum has some 16 pages long post where people are comparing folding results between x16 and x1. Not only do the cards work, but they show same results.

Well thing is the with folding is that once the data is loaded to the onboard ram. the speed of the pcie slot really is not an issue. as such if the wu fits with in the onboard memory of the card then even a pcie 2.0 x1 will be more then fast enough for moving the wu to the gpu for folding. to me it makes sense, im sure someone will say it works differently. i have not however been able to find anything different

Hey!

Well, I got a used HD4650 today. Sure, it ain't a GT430... it's only 512Mb, but has 128bits, unlike cheapest GT430 versions over here, which have only 64bits. It also cost less than 1/2 of a new GT430 and almost 1/2 of a second hand GT430.

The PC boots just fine, the card is working... I'll run some benches on my main PC and then on the Atom to see what the difference in performance is.

ETA:

Well, here are some 3DMark06(basic downloadable version) results. Have a laugh :D

Main rig(no OC) with HD4650: 5887 (2085/2559/2560)
Main rig(no OC) with IGP: 1966 (639/760/2644)
Atom with HD4650: 3215 (1162/1582/950)

In the Atom rig the card shows up as PCIe 1.1

Last edited:
Back