• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU not displaying video.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glinfi

Hi,
I put together a custom built water cooled PC using a Nvidia geforce RTX 2080ti. In the first place i just had the normal confguration without the addition of water cooling. Everything worked fine, I had no problems. After I installed water cooling, the problems started.
When I boot the computer I have no problems. I can use the internet, watch videos, download games... When I am doing that, MSI afterburner is showing that the GPU is running at 29 degrees celsius. As soon as I launch a game (I launched Fortnite), the monitor stopped displaying and "the monitor is going to sleep" notificaton showed up. I finfthat very weird, because the fans, the RGB lights and the pump were still on. First, I thought that the monitor is the problem, so I connected a new monitor to the PC. I again turned on the PC and as before, everything worked ok. I thought the problem was fixed and it was the monitor that was the problem. I again launched Fortnite and it happened again.
I do not know what is causing my problem. I figured that the GPU suddenly stops working, because everything works fine, even the sound still works. I can not figure what the problem is. Because I have the GPU water block installed I can not even see if the GPU fans stop working.
Could the lack of thermal paste while installing the GPU block be the problem? Did I somehow damage the GPU while installing the water block?

:welcome:

Please put the full specs of your computer in your signature for a better response.

What is the power rating and brand of your power supply? How old is it.

My guess is that your power supply is not strong enough to power all of your gear.... plus the water cooling system in 3D mode. 2D requires much less of your GPU but 3D will ramp it up and your power supply may have reached a breaking point. Just a guess.

Thank you for your respone,
yes that could be the problem...
Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x, Nvidia geforce RTX 2080ti, 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (RAM), ASUS TUF X570-PLUS, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, 4TB WESTERN DIGITAL Blue (HDD), 6x EK Vardar 120mm fans, EK Lian Li PC-O11 Side distribution plate, 750W GOLD power supply from ANTEC.
The power supply is new (2 months old), I bought it at the same time as all other components.

Hi,
I put together a custom built water cooled PC using a Nvidia geforce RTX 2080ti. In the first place i just had the normal confguration without the addition of water cooling. Everything worked fine, I had no problems. After I installed water cooling, the problems started.
When I boot the computer I have no problems. I can use the internet, watch videos, download games... When I am doing that, MSI afterburner is showing that the GPU is running at 29 degrees celsius. As soon as I launch a game (I launched Fortnite), the monitor stopped displaying and "the monitor is going to sleep" notificaton showed up. I finfthat very weird, because the fans, the RGB lights and the pump were still on. First, I thought that the monitor is the problem, so I connected a new monitor to the PC. I again turned on the PC and as before, everything worked ok. I thought the problem was fixed and it was the monitor that was the problem. I again launched Fortnite and it happened again.
I do not know what is causing my problem. I figured that the GPU suddenly stops working, because everything works fine, even the sound still works. I can not figure what the problem is. Because I have the GPU water block installed I can not even see if the GPU fans stop working.
Could the lack of thermal paste while installing the GPU block be the problem? Did I somehow damage the GPU while installing the water block?

Absolutely! If you did not use thermal paste, did not have enough of it or tried to reuse thermal paste from a previous mount of that block you will not get good contact between the water block and the GPU chip surface.

Hi,

yeah remount the block with proper thermal paste application. Also make sure that the thermal pads are in the proper positions so that the block makes nice even contact with the die. And yes you can damage the GPU while installing the water block. The die is not protected by a heat spreader so it is quite fragile, although the mounting mechanisms for most GPUs and blocks are appropriate for this. It is important to incrementally tighten the screws in a crossing pattern.

Back