• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU PCB Water Block Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm planning on a build with a intel 4790k and two GTX 780's in SLI, with a custom water loop. Now that I'm looking into the different kinds of 780's, I'm concerned about selecting water blocks. I was just made aware that classified cards (which sound very intriguing) have a different PCB. I'd be leaning towards classified cards, but when I go looking for water blocks that will fit the classified PCBs, I can't find anything.

So my question is, if you choose to go with a custom loop, are you restricted to reference PCB cards, or is there another solution to water cooling a classified PCB?

Also, I suppose as a secondary question, would a single loop be sufficient for cooling both the OCed CPU and GPUs given enough radiators? I had my eye on the HAF X case, which I believe has room for a 360 rad on the top.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

i was going to get a GTX780 6gb but ended up going with the 780 hydro copper for that very reason. i couldn't be assured i could get a full water block for the 6gb version. i went with a core only block on my 9800gtx, but this time around i wanted a full cover.

with regards to single vs dual loop, a single can handle it with enough rad for sure. my setup is over kill but i plan to run a 4790k and single gtx780 off 3 triple rads and 2 655 pumps. i would (personally) not go below 2 triples, but that's just me.

Don't forget about EVGA's block for the Classified.
These are manufactured by Swiftech.

I've got the 780 Classy with a Hydro Copper block in my loop, in a 21°C ambient it runs ~33°C load temp while overclocked.

Welcome to OCFs.

What general knowledge do you have for watercooling. Have you researched and read up lots of needed information? What is required to cool, how much cooling needed, maintenance and does sound play a roll. If you haven't read or researched, please take the time whether its days, weeks and even months to absorb all the critical information.

There's more to water cooling than buying things because if things arise you should be ready to take action than let it all get ruined which in the end costs $$$. Let us know where you're at and than we could move forward from there.

Thanks GTX.
And yes, I've spent a couple of months over the past year researching water cooling in anticipation of this build. I'm currently going through the Beginner's Guide sticky on this sub-forum, and continuing to study water cooling. To affirm your point though, yes I'm aware that a lot of things can go wrong and that you need to be prepared to deal with it immediately & knowledgeably to avoid disaster.

To answer your question, though: I know the parts needed to cool (although I'm not super comfortable with all the ID & OD sizing for tubes and fittings), I know roughly how much cooling is needed (I've see lots of "rule-of-thumb" estimates, but never actually had any experience with custom loops), I am aware of maintenance, and sound isn't a huge factor for me. This will be for the purpose of lower load temps and higher overclocks (I understand not to expect both simultaneously). I also have it that you're supposed to set up your loop and "jump" the power supply to get the water running in the loop (is this correct?) before you actually boot up the computer.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of where I'm at knowledge-wise.

Back