• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics card issues? Green lines and distortion on my screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hyflex

I turned on my computer this morning and it had a bunch of vertical green artefacts and some horizontal distortions on text.

You can see what it looks like
I assume it's the graphics card but I'm unsure, I've removed all dust inside and replaced thermal compound on my gpu, I'll replace the thermal compound on the cpu if anyone thinks it could be the cup.

The graphics card it's an HIS AMD Radeon HD6850 which is a PCI-e 2.1 card with 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, 2x DVI.

The rest of the computer is an ASUS P5Q-PRO motherboard with 8GB of Corsair DDR2 800mhz memory with an Intel Quad2Core Q9550 CPU.

I have 6 hard drives connected, 2 being SSDS and the power supply is a Corsair TX750W.

Does any one have any suggestions, ideas or thoughts.

I've had a look online and noticed "reflowing" graphics cards but don't quite understand what to do. If the card is dead I might as well try it because on a bunch of websites they say that reflowing gpus can fix core failures or/and gpu memory failures.

Thanks

:welcome:

So since you reapplied the thermal compound I'm guessing you re-seated the card and check the cable on the GPU end and all that basic stuff.

How are you connecting the card and monitor - DP, HDMI, DVI...? Did you check the cable on the monitors end as well?

Do you have another monitor or graphics card to test? Maybe a laptop to test the screen?

you try a different monitor?

Yes, I have three monitors connected and two screens are doing the same thing. The third isn't turning on which makes me think it's a core failure as a few sites said that a symptom of a core failure is a broken port

:welcome:

So since you reapplied the thermal compound I'm guessing you re-seated the card and check the cable on the GPU end and all that basic stuff.

How are you connecting the card and monitor - DP, HDMI, DVI...? Did you check the cable on the monitors end as well?

Do you have another monitor or graphics card to test? Maybe a laptop to test the screen?

The card was already playing up before changing the thermal compound, but yes I reseated, connected cable...etc all correctly.

There are three monitors connected one via dvi, one via hdmi and one via displayport.
I shall test all monitors individually on my laptop and on the gpu.

Any luck?

I just wanted to add, maybe route the cables up high or something...I've seen cheaper cables that weren't as shielded as they could be paint funny lines on the screen.
Cheap cables=cheap results. They don't need to be $80 Monsters to be good, but $10 Dynatron's are to be avoided....just what I've seen.

I know exactly why it died, it was a hot day and it looks like the heat made the fan expand slightly and it was going round pathetically slow which made the graphics card overheat and die.

I borrowed a heat gun today and reflowed the graphics card today, I have had 3 monitors on using the graphics card for about two hours now and still working perfectly fine.

The fan is still making noises (like broken noises) and I've gone into AMD overdrive to maximise the fan speed but it doesnt sound like it's going any faster.... however in the last ten mins the temperature has dropped from 57*C to 51*C

Where would I get a new, faster, better fan for the graphics card from? I don't want to pay too much but surely that should help?

The current stats are: however the GPU clock when idle is at 250mhz and when doing something its at 600 or 775

If I turn the fan to auto-mode the temperature gos up to 55*C fairly fast (30-40 seconds) so the 100% fan speed is definately doing something.

I'm going to leave my actual fan (human fan) on and pointing inside the case for the night and see if the PC is working in the morning

*fingers crossed*

During the light im going to

Borrowed a heat-gun today and reflowed i

check to make sure the Graphics card is seated properly, maybe take it out - blow out the pci slot, put it back in. do the same with the dvi/vga connectors -

try a different monitor.

if that doesn't work then I would say try a different GPU

check to make sure the Graphics card is seated properly, maybe take it out - blow out the pci slot, put it back in. do the same with the dvi/vga connectors -

try a different monitor.

if that doesn't work then I would say try a different GPU

Thanks for the reply but of course I tried all of those, a different gpu worked fine, reflowing the current gpu has fixed it for the time being. I just need to get a new fan for it.

Yep, measure straight across the blades and choose the right base/mount style.

Back