• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gta IV 20 fps problem --> i5 3570k @ 4.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taylor2

Registered
i have:
i5 3570k OC'ed from 3.4 to 4.0 GHz - CPU
XFX 7950 2gb( Stock ) - GPU
8GB of DDR3 1600MHz GSkill - ram
ASRock z77Pro4 - motherboard
Antec 900 - Case

and i am getting 20fps or even lower at some parts on GTA IV... Shouldnt i be getting higher?

i have:
i5 3570k OC'ed from 3.4 to 4.0 GHz - CPU
XFX 7950 2gb( Stock ) - GPU
8GB of DDR3 1600MHz GSkill - ram
ASRock z77Pro4 - motherboard
Antec 900 - Case

and i am getting 20fps or even lower at some parts on GTA IV... Shouldnt i be getting higher?

Basically? Yes.

I was even able to play this game on my crappy dell laptop a few years ago (not taking into account its overheating issues even when idling). That was a laptop with a dual core 2.2 ghz cpu, 4 gigs of RAM, 512 mb graphics chip by nvidia I believe.

I don't know what causes your problem, but I might take a guess.

Having a graphics card of 2 gigs is awesome, so I guess you should be able to play this game on full settings with that card. However, I DO know that enabling vsync, anti-aliasing, etc can sometimes decrease performance, even though your computer is more than capable of handling it.

EDIT: Then again, both me and my husband remember a few places/missions where the fps would drop no matter what computer you use... So It might be partly due to graphics options and partly due to bad programming/level design.

Last edited:
You could watch your processor temperatures to make sure there are no throttling issues while you are playing.

But with everything at maximum having GTA IV yield 20fps in some places isn't a surprise to me. It was and still is just another console port, they put enough work into it to make it run on PC but they did not make an effort to make it run well....as they put it....future proofing. It has been a while since I played but I seem to remember having a similar issue with my 4.5Ghz FX-6100 and heavily overclocked GTX480. The solution for me was to turn traffic down a fair bit if I remember correctly.

Looking at your PC specs. i can say that gta 4 can run way above 60 fps smoothly.

You could be probably getting 20 fps because there might be some problem with your copy of the game
See if you can install another version of it, or try performing a clean reinstall

GTA IV is a crappily optimized game. You should play with AA settings and such, it can be as much as one setting that affects ~40+ FPS. It was that way for me on my GTX 580m

Did you check for viruses on your PC or anything running in the back ground? Check your CPU usage at idle.

Last edited:
Check for the retarted power saving settings. VGA frequencies may have locked up in low levels.

Back