• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 580 SLI or GTX 590 or GTX 590 SLI PLEASE HELP I CANT DECIDE?!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aston6

Registered
Hey OCF this is my first thread so hoping to get some info. I am 15 and i am going to start working this summer for a PC i wanna build. Here is what i have so far:
Coolermaster HAF X Blue edition
Corsair AX1200
Mushkin Redline Enhanced DDR3 2133 16 GB DDR3 1600(2 dual channel kits)(2 x 4)
Windows 7 ultimate
Antec Kuhler h20 920
Intel Core i7 2600
WD Caviar Black 2TB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
MSI Marshall BIG BANG

As you can see I have no video card. I made up mind that i wanted an nvidia card but which one. This is where i am hoping you guys could help me. I am debating between 2 MSI Lightening twin frozer 3 GTX 580s in SLI clocked at 832 mhz, a GTX 590 evga classified edition, or if i could get my parents to contribute 2 GTX 590s in SLI evga classified edition. I have been viewing benchmarks on youtube and google and they all suggest that the 2 way sli gtx 580s are better than a single GTX 590. My understanding is that the gtx 590 is like 2 gtx 580s just down-clocked( 2 GF110 GPUs). I didn't think that the down-clock would make that much of a difference.
IMPORTANT!!!!!!!
this is going to power a 50'in samsung plasma screen TV(almost 4yrs old).

Please give me feedback. I really want to build it this summer but if i dont have the cash by september than i will wait it out till next summer or maybe christmas.
Thanks for your help,:comp:
aston6

Last edited:
Wow... pretty colors and fonts and.....:sly: :D

But for a 50" plasma, its only 1920x1080 so a SINGLE 580 will EASILY plow through anything. Hell so will a 570 and 560ti.

BUT, report back in September as I believe new cards will be out then. Its too early to be thinking about what is going on in September or if you have the money for it for next summer.

:welcome: to OCForums!

First off, just uses regular text, no huge fonts please, different colors aren't so bad.

What is the resolution of the TV? Since the TV is 4 years old, it's probably a 720p variant. Even if it is 1080p, a single GTX580 is overkill and a GTX570/560Ti would do you fine.

EDIT: Earthdog ninja'd me :sn:

Wow... pretty colors and fonts and.....:sly: :D

But for a 50" plasma, its only 1920x1080 so a SINGLE 580 will EASILY plow through anything. Hell so will a 570 and 560ti.

BUT, report back in September as I believe new cards will be out then. Its too early to be thinking about what is going on in September or if you have the money for it for next summer.

Do you think so? I checked it is a 1080p and i want a really nice system. I forgot to include that i might use it on out projector we got last year for out home theater. I am one of thos people who like to do things proper and not skimp in any department.

Proper on 1080p is the 580. I mean thats the fastest single card out there. More than that on that res is really just a waste. But, of course, its up to you. ;)

I'd wait until September rolls around and see what is priced at what. One that happens, I'd have to suggest going with one of 560Ti/570/580. A 590 is honestly overkill for a single monitor setup and two 590's require/recommend a 1000watt power supply at least, so you'd have to get a new PS. A 1200watt CorsairAX is nearly $300 right now.

O and guys i have another question. My game room where i have mt 50in tv, my ps3 and my xbox setup in in my basement and my router in on the top(third) floor of my house. I didnt realize it when doing the parts selection but i need wireless internet. How do i achieve this? I have seen those pci and pci e cards on newegg but i not sure if they are any good or if there is a better solution. Please help Thanks,
aston6:comp:

That's how you do it.

Given that you're on SB, go with a PCIe card.
You can put 1x PCIe cards in 1x/4x/8x/16x slots.

Definitely just a single card, as stated above. The GPU doesn't care if it's a 1080p 4" or a 1080p 50,000" screen, resolution is the only thing that matters.

yeh, ur pixels are just bigger.. my 570GTX handles my 1920x1080 monitor with anything I can throw at it.. can totally Max out BFBC2 in DX11 mode and still pull 70-80Fps, and that's with a measly thuban behind it.

Back