• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H.264 encoder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i have alot of video files that are in divx and i want to swap them all over to h.264 for my plex server.

edit: just figured out h.264 is also mp4 format lol so that is solved still would like to know what software you guys use for converting to h.264

i know I.M.O.G. talked about his auto converting? that would be awesome.

my poor little dual core server is being raped atm when i try to stream anything lol.

Last edited:
I usually just use handbrake and set the quality settings depending on what device my media files are being put on.

On a related note, I'd also like to know what IMOG uses if his is setup to autoconvert. I eventually want to setup a HTPC that will automatically rip and add DVDs/Blurays to a NAS box whenever they are inserted.

can handbrake convert divx to h.264 with AAC audio codecs? sorry i dont know much about this stuff lol, id also like to keep the files the quality they are because i stream them to my htpc as well with xbmc

damn i downloaded the handbrake program and it says its going to take 9 hours to do one video! and i wish the video settings were easier to configure, such as "same quality as source" and "same resolution" something along those lines would be fantastic seeing as how i have a bunch of br rips and i would like to keep the awesome quality.

now im wishing i still had my 12 core opteron server lol.

Last edited:
It should be able to handle it just fine. I haven't used divx files in a long time but it still should be good to go. Just set your quality settings to match the source file and you should not see any degredation of quality. :)

It should be able to handle it just fine. I haven't used divx files in a long time but it still should be good to go. Just set your quality settings to match the source file and you should not see any degredation of quality. :)

but thats what i dont understand it has all these clickey things and doesnt show what the source file was lol, it shows the resolution and the audio codec thats about it.

Im not at my main computer but let me look up the settings that will work :D

i found a program called h.264 encoder it converts them fine only problem is my .mp4 files that arent an h.264 video encoder it just says done in like one second and puts out a 1kb file lol

it has very simple settings as well such as "high" "normal" "fast" "full high definition" lol ima try it out and see how it goes for normal ones atleast

welp the h263 program i used changed all the audio to 2.0 instead of keeping the 5.1 surround and it also used a different audio codec than i would like, seems my whole library uses dts for the 5.1 audio only a could use AAC that i need for plex to work, i think only one or two movies have the right thing going on the h.264 / aac audio and they stream great on my daughters nook, got a digital copy with her bluray movie "brave" put it on there and it streams fine sometimes and some times not, argh i think im just gonna put more cpu power in the turd of a server i got and leave them the formats they are lol

weird thing is my largest movie files (harry potter br rip and lord of the rings return of the king) are the largest files i have almost and they stream just fine on her nook lol this is part of why im at a loss of why crap aint working lol.

Use handbrake. It has an add folder option that will encode every file in the directory to a new output directory with auto naming. The only downside to this technique is that all the source in each folder must be the same video size or it will get scaled / cropped. I regularly do batch conversions using handbrake. Its got lots of options but the default + adjust the quality setting to your liking(I use 22 for DVD and 26 for 720P) which result in ~600MB dvds and ~ 1GB 720P movies.

yea but alot of mine are br rips and im waiting till i rebuild my server right now it takes ~12 hours to convert one of my rips lol many of them are between 8 and 12gb and 1080p, for now im only doing the movies for my daughter to play on her nook ripping them to a much lower res they seem to be going great and now i figured out i can turn off encoding, for some reason i twas encoding stuff that didnt need encoded.

Theres no reason it should take 12 hours to do a BR rip with your CPU. My 8320 can run a BR from disk to mkv to m4v(h.264) @ 1080P on default configuration in like 4 hours. I suspect you are using one of the filters which are single threaded ifyour getting that kind of performance. Your CPU should be above 80% utilization the entire time its encoding, if it isnt your loosing ALOT of time.

nah my server does all the work since its all stored on there and my main pc is on wireless in the house for the time being. that little 2180 even at 3ghz is a turd lol.

Ah I see. Well for BR conversions it might be worth while to use external media to transport them back to your main rig.

yea i was thinking about that, but ive enjoyed putting together a parts list for my server a pretty beastly machine for hardly over a hundred bucks :)

I keep hearing about this handbrake encoder, but so far all I've ever needed to encode audio/video files from any format to any other format has been my trusty VLC Media player... It allows for tons of codecs/containers, you can do batch converting and it's nice and light (resources wise)...

it works nice lets you select codecs add in audio streams (have one for 2.0 ac3 direct (for mobile devices on plex) and one for 5.1 dts (for the htpc) and lets you save settings for different video formats, i do my daughters @ 1280xXXX and 2.0 for her nook, do my blue ray rips @ 1080 with 5.1. the plex server works best with h.264 as it can stream it without transcoding it on the server live using alot of resources so thats why i like the saved settings i get the same exact encoding at the specific settings i like it has a mountain of settings.

well i found some software to automate this process, it s called drop folders, im trying it now with the augmentation --preset="ellies shows" as that is a custom one i made for my daughters shows that get streamed to her nook.

http://ctl.du.edu/staff/josephlabrecque/DropFolders/
if it could monitor a dvd drive that would be awesome , though idk yet.

so far its converting too fast to be doing what i want it to be doing... we will see in a few hours i guess

Last edited:
hmmm just figured out that xbox 360 can work from the plex server instead of wmc just go to videos then network and then bam theres your plex channels/videos

Back