• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100 pump "grinding" noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

So my H100 pump is making this "grinding" noise when I put the case in its normal upright vertical position, but it stops when I put the case on its side. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Faulty pump or bad installation, should I RMA it?

It's probably air bubbles. Gently tap the block and maybe even the hoses and see if it gets better. Is this a new install?

If the gentle tapping doesn't help, you'll need to dismount it and rap it against your empty palm to dislodge the bubbles, with the pump held below the tubes/radiator.
Common problem with them...apparently they don't believe in bleeding a system as well as we advise.

So I tried the gentle tapping on the cpu block and the hoses when the system was off and on, and I also dismantled it and wiggled the pump when it was below the radiator and the hoses in straight lines and the system off. None of that seemed to work. It still makes a grinding sound like an old hard drive doing constant writes and seeks.

The problem always goes away and the pump is silent when the case is on it's side.

I read through the Corsair forums and it seems a lot of people are having this problem. The solution was to get a fan controller and decrease the voltage on the pump only slightly (like 5%).

Does anyone know of a 4-pin Molex fan controller that would fit inside the case?

EDIT: Yes this is a new install.

Slight thread necro, but it seems I have the exact same problem with mine.

I can tap on it and the noise goes away for a few seconds to a minute, but eventually always returns. From the reading I have done, the only solution seems to be to RMA it.

The fan controller / diode trick is bs because it simply reduces the power (effectiveness) of the unit. Why should my pump run at slower speed due to a manufacturing defect?

Guess I will start the RMA process. :(

Just an update, I am a bit irritated. I processed a return with Amazon and they have shipped the new unit, but now my (defective) H100 has been silent for nearly 3 days now. The new one hasnt arrived yet and I am unsure if I should bother swapping it out. PITA.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but does anyone mind getting the measurement for me on the glossy black square on top of the pump housing while they've got their case open? No ones gotten it for me on my thread yet . . . lol.

562381_457581850925515_100000211125401_1885570_891413008_n.jpg

Slight thread necro, but it seems I have the exact same problem with mine.

I can tap on it and the noise goes away for a few seconds to a minute, but eventually always returns. From the reading I have done, the only solution seems to be to RMA it.

The fan controller / diode trick is bs because it simply reduces the power (effectiveness) of the unit. Why should my pump run at slower speed due to a manufacturing defect?

Guess I will start the RMA process. :(

I just built a new system with the H100 also. Im having the same issue!If i tap it a few times it stops..then starts again seconds to minutes later.. So frustrating. Everything works perfect in my new build except for this freaking pump... Guess ill take mine back also.:bang head

Hi Guys,

This is unfortunately a widely known issue with the H100. I had it with mine and used the diode fix to sort it out.

Google "corsair h100 diode fix" and you'll see loads of links with info on how to do this yourself. You'll need to do some very basic soldering to get it sorted, so if you don't have access to a soldering iron it might be an issue.

The H100 seems to have terrible quality control. Not only did mine have pump rattle which the diode fix sorted out, but it also doesn't adjust fan speed no matter what setting I have it on. I just run my radiator fans off my motherboard CPU fan plugs to get around this issue. I live in Ireland and RMA'ing the product seems to be very hit and miss and time consuming. I've seen loads of threads where the next one had issues as well so I've decided not to bother and to make do with my jury rigged version.

While it does cool pretty well I would never recommend the H100 to a friend!

Corsair, sort out your quality control!!!

Back