• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

handshaking issue..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
I have a very strange issue / network connection situation. I have an ISP that provides fiber via VLANS as the internet drop for the business. There is no cable modem that bring in the connection. This is on a much larger scale. 100MB Fibre connection. The only thing I have is a patch panel port that comes from the main switch from another location, which then goes to my router and it used to work. When I connect it my laptop directly it works, why?

I never took the CCNA but I'm going to take a shot here.

What this sounds like is that your router (model?) is setup to route packets in a way that is not supported by the fiber connection protocol. i.e. Your router is trying to do something with the incoming connection that is not required.

I would restore settings to default on the router and rebuild your config file. I know if you console into the router, then type 'enable' or simply 'en', enter the password and then issue '?' you'll get a list of commands. Enter 'config t' and there are additional configuration commands. I literally just stumbling through a Cisco AirNet WAP configuration yesterday and noticed the command in the help file, although not sure what the command was.

If you have a Cisco router, post back the model. My networking team are gods at Cisco configurations and I may be able to get you a quick answer Monday or at least point you in the right direction.

What's the model of the router?

Back