• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive caddy weirdness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

I have a SATA caddy installed in my tower. I have a new setup installed about a month ago with a gigabyte ga-z87x-ud3h motherboard and a g3258 cpu. Everything works fine. The motherboard has 6 sata III connections. All are being used including the use of the caddy, and everything works well, except for the caddy.

Looks somewhat similar to this one. Same type of door and carries its own power cable.

caddy.jpg

Now, here's the thing: If I place a HD in the caddy within Windows (Win7 Ultimate SP1 x86), something I used to do regularly on my former 775 rig, I will get a BSOD. If I place a HD in the caddy before booting, everything works fine. And removing it within Windows also works fine with no side effects.

With my old 775 system, on placing a HD in the caddy I would get two hiccups, two nano-second freezes, before accepting the drive. On this new system I get the same, except that the third hiccup is a BSOD.

Wondering why I get the BSOD within Windows. Not sure of the make of the caddy. Could it be the caddy does not support sat III connections or newer mobos?

Grateful for any help.

Does you bios have a hot swap option. From what I am reading it might also be called hot plug.

Does you bios have a hot swap option. From what I am reading it might also be called hot plug.

That's a good call. In the bios there does exist that configuration for each sata port and so, figuring it was relevant, I enabled it for that particular port. The same BSOD happened, though.

My next move is to go back to the bios and enable this, and anything else, for *all* the sata ports. See what happens.

Sorry to say if that doesn't work you are at the end of my "expertise". Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Nope, still blue-screened after enabling hot-plug in the bios on all the drives and attempting to hot swap a hard drive. One side effect of this enabling is that my installed internal hard drives (3 of them) now appear on the "safely remove hardware and eject media" icon in the tray area.

Leaves me wondering whether the caddy itself may not be up to a SATA III task... should be backwards compatible I imagine...

Could also be a driver issue. The add-on SATA ports on my old mobo would have problems if I didn't use the specific drivers meant for hot-swapping/ESATA ports. No BSOD, but if I removed the drive I would no longer be able to use it on that port unless I rebooted. With the correct drivers, hot-swapping worked just fine.

Back