• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware collision produces no usb detection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainsteroid

Hello forum folk.

I dropped this speaker:

0002198694153_500X500.jpg

two feet off my desk onto this case:

top1.jpg

I panicked when the screen froze and the speakers gave interference-esque screeches, and I pulled the power.

Now my Diamondback 3G and Saitek II refuse to respond upon startup. Monitor gives "Check Signal Cable" when unplugged, but doesn't show startup images.

I blew a sizable amount of dust out of my case and tried re-seating my video card, but I'm wondering if it could be a number of other things- perhaps the PS has been damaged, the processor knocked out of place somehow? It has been awhile since my A+ courses.

I would certainly call that "hardware collision".

Going by what you said, there is no video at all when you power up the system? If so, this isn't a USB issue, as you stated in your thread title. Since this occurred directly after you dropped it on the case, it is very likely related to it. I would remove the components from the case and test on a non-conductive surface (those anti-static bags have metal in them, don't use it) and try with minimal hardware. Motherboard, CPU (heatsink installed, of course), one stick of RAM. Add a video card to that list if it doesn't have onboard video. Reset the CMOS on the motherboard and try to power it up.

If that doesn't work, try another video card along with different RAM modules in different sockets. And last, but very much not least, relax. This is very basic troubleshooting to find the problem component. If you aren't calm and rational about it, you probably won't find a fix and that will just make the situation worse.

I also wonder if the shock of the impact didn't damage the hard drive or at least corrupt data that controls some of these functions, as in device drivers. Do you have another drive you could try in the system?

Have you tried resetting the cmos? I would take the Cmos battery out for a few minutes and do a deep reset. Unplug the power cord to the PSU before doing this, however and don't plug it back in until you re-seat the battery.

Back