• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware packaging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sobe

Unscathed Member
Ok gentlemen and any gentle ladies, had a house burn down but my primary pc is ok due to storage for school. For future trading purposes, I wanted to check what people use for reselling hardware as for packaging down the road. All my retail boxes are no more, the fire took everything and the entire house, nothing left. No need to worry though, the town, insurance company, and Red Cross have been wonderful thus far.

Obviously this isn't a high priority, but curiosity makes me post while getting all affairs in order. Btw, as for hardware Im referring to cpu, vid card, mobo, psu, etc. just to get a general idea for future reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Oh no! Hope everyone is alright!

I use a box, bubble wrap, and anti-static bag as a general rule.

Only reason I ask is I normally just bubble wrap the hell out of the retail boxes.... But that's no longer attainable, lol.

As for the family we are ok, and the dogs are fine. They were hiding in wooded area to the side of the house. We were out eating dinner an hour away and a neighbor called.

The only thing I would really worry about is a hard drive (solid state, just toss it in a padded envelope).
About a half inch of bubble wrap and a box is more than sufficient for any other component for protection.
Then an antistatic bag for CPU/GPU/HDD/SSD/RAM. Nothing else really needs one.

Glad everyone (and every pet) was unharmed :)

We assume wiring, insurance and fire marshal havent done an inspection yet due to holiday, lot of people on vacation, lol.

We will get everything set back up after insurance does what they need to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 28
Goods news, while we sort out what to do with future house plans we went rv and trailer shopping, have an order form for a 2014 Raptor 412TS fifth wheel ready to go, just going over financing. So within the next few days we should have a temporary home.

Congratulations on your new home and my sincere condolences for your loss. That looks like it was an awful fire. Thank god you guys weren't asleep when it happened.

Looks like it was an attractive house too.

What I do know about the house is it was a large log cabin home built in the 1800s, and interior redone in 1980. Outside of that and that each of the logs were brought in from out of state for the place, I dont know much else about its history, but it was a popular spot apparently for graduation pictures for the town.

Kind of saddening though that StateFarm wont set us up somewhere at least until they pay out. Any accommodations will take away from the payout, and the cheapest motel here is $70/night lol. While we may be paying a bit for the camper, we can get a nice campground with electric, water, sewage, wifi, cable, etc for $170/week or $400/month. And with the size of that camper, it should be more than enough for us to be comfortable until we decide on what to do.

What I do know about the house is it was a large log cabin home built in the 1800s, and interior redone in 1980. Outside of that and that each of the logs were brought in from out of state for the place, I dont know much else about its history, but it was a popular spot apparently for graduation pictures for the town.

Kind of saddening though that StateFarm wont set us up somewhere at least until they pay out. Any accommodations will take away from the payout, and the cheapest motel here is $70/night lol. While we may be paying a bit for the camper, we can get a nice campground with electric, water, sewage, wifi, cable, etc for $170/week or $400/month. And with the size of that camper, it should be more than enough for us to be comfortable until we decide on what to do.

That's pretty crappy of StateFarm...

Also, another good thing, you can sell the camper when you're done to recoup a lot of cost.

We were able to get the price dropped from $90k to $68k on the Raptor, so its not horrible. We have a 2010 Dodge 2500 turbo diesel that the rv place will install a fifth wheel on at no cost added to the camper price. We've looked at these toy haulers in the past but not too seriously, but since it's becoming a reality it is something we can use for years down the road.

Im just glad we have an idea of what we are doing during this crap, and thankful to Red Cross for putting us up in the local motel for a few nights.

Wow, that's a killer price for a fifth wheel camper!!

Glad things are falling into place despite the circumstances :)

Back