• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hate Windows 11? Try this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Last edited:
I get that change is difficult sometimes, but I would caution against knee-jerk reactions and indulging the tendency to want things to stay the same.

I often encounter computers that have these types of addons installed and the addons end up causing more problems than they solve, often because people have a tendency to install them and then never update them. That's a recipe for disaster with a rolling-release OS like Windows 11 where the OS will update and break part of an addon. Then the people who were already predisposed to having a negative opinion of Windows 11 blame Windows 11 for the problems that their addons cause and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Give the OS itself a chance before you go out of your way to break it IMO, you might find that after a while, you actually like it.

I said the same about Windows 8.1 but people still hate it despite it being the most stable Windows based OS IÂ’ve ever had by a mile. Only thing I used to change was the start menu because of those obnoxious live tiles and still zero issues. IÂ’ve seen a lot of people on other forums and Reddit asking if classic shell worked on Win11 so this video came in good timing [emoji5]

I have just installed it on an older amd apu rig and it's still awfully buggy and A bit hard to find the apps, I'd wait A while before changing.

I'm reserving judgment on 11 but I have in my mind: ME, VISTA, 8/8.1. If Microsoft would just stop ****ing with the start menue maybe there wouldn't be so many failures in thier catalogue. I do own some very powerful hardware but none that meet 11's TPM2.0 requirement. While I am aware of the install work around, I've been holding off as I'm in no hurry for 11.

I'm using win 11 on about half my computers and 10 on the other. I use both daily and after moving the start bar back to the left I honestly can't tell the difference. Not sure what the big fuss is about.

People are change-averse... and I get it.

That said, I like customizing Windows even less and staying on ancient (read: officially unsupported) versions isn't a viable option for me. Today, things need to just work with minimal effort. Canned Windows does that with aplomb for my use (gaming/photo and video editing/office work). :thup:

Now, there's always going to be some annoyances (like now I have to click one additional time to change audio sources), but no dealbreakers so far in the months I've had it. :thup:

having windows 10 upgrade thread flashbacks.

"its new, I just simply can't"

need to upgrade, myself. just haven't had time yet.

Been using Windows 11 on my new 12900k rig, seems fine. Barely different than Windows 10 tbh. Windows 10 is to Windows 95 as Windows 11 is to Windows 98.

The only issue for me is the absolute trash fire Xbox app that is required to install Windows Store games on Windows 11. On windows 10 you can install directly from the store app. Xbox app won't even let me log in lmao.

Does Win 11 offer any actual improvements over Win 10? I have some W11 install media but if W11 makes the Windows experience worse rather than better, I'll just pass and let Linux continue providing trouble free service.

I haven't noticed any improvements or disadvantages either way honestly. It seems to function the same imo. I would say if you liked win 10 then you will like win 11, if not then you won't.

Now that I have my install corrected, I had A bad thumb drive, it looks to be win10 trying to look like A mack.
All my win10 stuff installs just fine, the performance is slightly reduced but I think they will improve that as time goes by.
It's really all about getting used to navigating around in it.

I've been on win11 since it came out. I don't see any difference between 10 and 11 aside from the annoying shortcuts in the center of the taskbar. I can unpin them, but the issue is with the start tab which can't be moved, so now I have 2 start menu tabs. The original on the left and the new 11 in the center. I'm still using classic shell.

Aside from that, it's been rock steady stable.

I've been on win11 since it came out. I don't see any difference between 10 and 11 aside from the annoying shortcuts in the center of the taskbar. I can unpin them, but the issue is with the start tab which can't be moved, so now I have 2 start menu tabs. The original on the left and the new 11 in the center. I'm still using classic shell.

Aside from that, it's been rock steady stable.

I changed mine to align to the left as well but it is my only one. Sounds like something might be messed up if you have two.

I changed mine to align to the left as well but it is my only one. Sounds like something might be messed up if you have two.
Is this an included Windows 11 setting or a feature a program provides?

Is this an included Windows 11 setting or a feature a program provides?
Windows allows you to move it. ;)

To move the taskbar left, right-click anywhere on the taskbar and select Taskbar Settings from the pop-up menu—if you can call a menu with one item in it a menu. This will take you directly to the Personalization > Taskbar screen.

Here you can add/remove some of the items that appear on the taskbar, such as Search, Task view, Widgets, and Chat, which can be useful for keeping it clean.

The option you're looking for can be found at the bottom of this screen: Taskbar behaviors. Expand this section by clicking on it, and then set the taskbar alignment to 'Left' and you're done. Windows the way you know and love.

There were some issues with Win11 but most on my clients' computers like Microsoft had a problem with printer drivers (I guess there was a patch for that about a month ago). There was also a "short date" issue which caused the date on invoices to print the wrong way (can manually correct it in regional options).
I have Win11 only on my test rigs and I see that sometimes are problems with PCMark/3DMark or FarCry6. All of them sometimes freeze on the start screen. PCMark had to be reinstalled after windows updates as it didn't work at all. FarCry 6 started to work again after the last cumulative update. I assume that these problems are related to updates as there were already 3 big updates and after each something was working better or worse. Most other things are mainly annoying "improvements" that no one really wanted.

Microsoft had time to work with hardware and software vendors and deliver an OS without so big flaws like AMD cache issue or other things. The beta was around for long months so I have no idea why most significant problems were solved some weeks after the premiere ... when users were actually pushing MS. I know that various vendors were reporting problems with Win11 beta and somehow MS ignored many of these reports.

We can complain but in general it's still not so bad premiere ... it just feels like next Win10 update with forced "improvements".

i finally relented after still using windows 7. skipped 8 and 10 entirely.

installed windows 11 earlier this week and... is... rather disappointing.

the lack of features usually available for a "Pro" edition are missing and I feel like i'm using a "Home" edition.

Back