• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have i pushed my Q9650 too far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all,
Installed this chip successfully, and got it to 3.4 with no sweat. At full load temps up to 71C, with stock.

I then tried at 3.6, and got stabiltiy, with temps around 80. Then tried @ 3.7, and system would not boot. So back to 3.4, but temps now are up, when idling at 2.3 multiplier 6, temps are at 80C.

I have checked the cooler, and although its stock, it hasent changed. Does this sound like i have fried this chip, or is there any other explanation?

Thanks
Fish

Keep the temps under 70-75C load, but I doubt your hurt it. My *guess* is you are o/c with voltages on auto and the board is pouring on the vcore.

It does not sound like you fried the chip though, no. You shouldnt really be starting an o/c with Speedstep/EIST/C1E on in the first place.

Check out the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide my man.

It's highly unlikely you damaged it unless as EarthDog says you were using auto voltage settings but I don't know if Gigabyte boards increase the voltage automatically a lot.

As for temps, first consider your ambient temp, any change in ambient will be at least an equal change in temps. However 80C sounds incredibly high for idling even with the stock cooler (which btw you should probably consider replacing for those types of clocks) so something isn't quite right. Is it possible the cooler is not mounted properly, maybe you nudged it at some point?

Stock cooler = pushpins = utter crap. When idling at 80C is that heatsink hot to the touch? If its not, its not making good contact.

. When idling at 80C is that heatsink hot to the touch? If its not, its not making good contact.

Many thanks guys for quick response. Was the autovoltage control. But also think its time to install the Nirvana NV120 i bought for the last chip. Stock cooling system looks so unreliable.
Good link also.

Cheers,

Yep. All the major voltages shouldnt be on auto. Most mobos will tend to overvolt in favor of stability.

Ok finally got the new NV120 fan installed, and core temperatures are now down to 58C max under full load @ 3.6gHz, using stock VCore, and not other voltage adjustments.

I tried to get to 3.7.gig (413FSBx9 multi), but best I got was to post, but could not get the OS to load.

I used the following voltage
Core 1.28v
FSB overvoltage +0.2v
MCH overvoltage +0.2
memory timings stock (memory is 8500, 5-5-5-15), so should manage 413 Mhz easily.

So trying to track down the bottleneck,

Any advice welcome

Back