• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have to run chkdsk twice for it to scan properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

After running system file checker on all the classroom computers in a private school I provide tech support for, I am also running chckdsk /f /r. There are about 25 computers involved, all with Windows 10 installed and with all latest updates from Microsoft. These are older machines with a lot of hours on the hard drives. I have checked the SMART info on all machines and replace the drives that were in failure.

On all but about two of these machines I am finding I have to run chkdsk twice in order to get it to scan correctly. The first time the machine reboots, starts to run the chkdsk scan but immediately runs to 100% complete whereupon it boots back into Windows. When I issue the chkdsk /f /r command again it will reboot and run the full scan in a normal fashion over a period of sever hours. To have to issue the command twice is so frustrating and time consuming. These machines are old take a long time to boot.

What is happening here?

That's a new one for me, although I have had to run chkdsk multiple times to get it to actually fix all the problems before. More often than not, actually.

Back