• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having trouble, could use some help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

Hey guys, I am trying to set up a new email account so my dad can stop paying for AOL, because thats all we use it for, the email. I will either use Outlook or Modzilla Thunderbird. As far as these two go, will they pretty much be the same thing? But more importantly, I cannot figure out how to set up the email accout. Like all the questions it asks (i.e. is this a proxy server, and all other technical questions). I have tried but can not figure out what to do. Could someone please explain what Info i would need to set up 5 accounts for my family, on a single home computer? Thanks you, if you need any more info to help me just ask. Thanks a lot for the help.

Can anyone help please? I know that "proxy server" thing I used as an example was wrong but I can not set this up by myself. Anyone?!

have you decided on a provider yet? you cant just setup mail account from outlook or thunderbird, you need to register at some site or another. as far as functionality goes, outlook and thunderbird are pretty much the same. the only differences i can think of are thunderbird having more security, and outlook being able to connect to hotmail accounts.

i don't know how good any of these are, but here are some free pop3 email links:
http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm
http://www.freemailguide.com/
http://www.hotpop.com/index.jsp

also, almost any isp that i can think of provides at least 5 email accounts with their standard package, so i dont really feel that there is a need to switch yet, though i dont know your situation. then besides that, the settings should be pretty self explanatory. you should only enter what you know you need, and if you need more help, just post again. as far as proxy goes, i doubt you use one, so leave that empty.

edit: i just read your post again, and you need to remember that you still need an internet connection of some sort. if you just use the internet for email, maybe you should switch to netzero, or possible an hourly plan from aol at a reduced rate from unlimited access. there used to be some services that offered email only in exchange for you viewing your advertisements, but im not sure if they exist anymore.

Oh ok, I am totally lost. Here is what i know. We have an optimum online cable connection. We currently use AOL for our Email account. We use Internet Explorer to surf Web. So are you saying if I cancel AOL I can no longer get on the internet?! I hope this is enough info to explain what I am asking. I ment before that we never really sign on to AOL itself except to check mail. The rest of the time we use AIM for instant messaging and Internet Explorer to surf the Web. I though I could stop paying for, and cancel AOL, while continueing to use AIM and IE. Then just sign up for a free mail client. Is that possible? Are there free mail clients?

i didnt realize that you were running aol on top of a cable connection. and yes, there is free email availible all over the web. i might recommend that you cancel the aol + cable service and negotiate with the cable company directly to save 10 bucks a month or something. then you can use the email accounts they provide (you can pick your username and stuff) and use thunderbird or outlook express to connect. also, you might want to look into using mozilla firefox as well, it's wicked fast on a broadband connection as a web browser, and it eliminates most spyware.

Thanks Gusgizmo. So I am going to keep optimum online as my service provider and also call them to set up a free email account, which I will them use with either Outlook or Thunderbird. I can still use AIM even after I cancel AOL I think, so that shouldnt be a problem for Instant messaging. And will look into trying Firefox. THANK YOU!

Back