• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDT cooler cleaning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgoodkat

So I got the Hyper 212 to replace the totally underwhelming H50, and I followed the benchmark reviews article about TIM application into the channels on HDT coolers. I ran out of one type of TIM after filing those channels and not wanting to combine TIMs I decided to clean and start over. It then dawned on me how much of a PITA that was. Sharp edges that caused shredding of coffee filters and deep grooves that you are just never going to get the TIM out of completely.

Am I missing something? Should I just dunk the base in rubbing alcohol?

I don't know why, but I had no fun prepping that cooler, or even installing it. I know my neighbor heard me having a hissy fit. It was bad...

Last edited:
Don't worry about TIM that remains in the grooves - as long as it doesn't spoil the contact surface of the cooler that's fine.

I didn't bother going to these lengths with both my HDT coolers (Xigmatek Dark Knight & OCZ Vendetta 2) - I just applied a thin line of TIM along each heatpipe base and installed the coolers, and they both ran perfectly.

Applying TIM into the channels should make no difference as TIM is only effective when it is applied sparingly; a thick layer of TIM is more of an insulator than a conductor, so I just don't see why clogging up the channels would make any difference whatsoever to the cooler's performance.

A toothbrush would do wonders. One of the best tools in a PC enthusiast toolbox. Besides the Jack n Ice when it all goes wrong and time for a longgg break.

Ohh and the wifes brush to apply makeup for dust cleaning on an annual rebuild. Till she gave me a brush from the auto store for detail work. Better and we are both happy now.

As Lenny said tho, don't fret the old bits in the grooves. Those areas need to be filled the first time to prevent all the paste from filling those spots and not enuff to cover the rest. Thats a first use thing, fill the spots, then golden for forever.

Besides the Jack n Ice when it all goes wrong and time for a longgg break.

A bottle of something would have helped...

I guess I was just thinking that in using rubbing alcohol to even simply clean the base, any TIM packed in those channels wouldn't be straight TIM anymore, but some kind of runny TIM/alcohol mess. I don't know.

The t-brush is a great idea. I will clean (anal-retentive) and reseat when I get my new tube of goop. And that will be the end of that. In the future I wont worry about it.

thanks men

Back