• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat shielding ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3650 AGP 512MB DDR2/3(2008).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

Kall5545

Hello
ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3650 AGP 512MB DDR2/3(2008).

1.) If I CNC a custom copper heat sink will I need spacers between GPU and heat sink ? Or can I just screw it in ? Why 3rd party\aftermarket coolers provide spacers ? Are they needed to adjust right pressure and without them GPU breaks when heat sink is screwed in ?

2.) What thermal conductivity pads Chinese=1.4 W/mK, Arctic-AC=6.0 W/mK or Alphacool=11W/mk ? What size is ok 0.5, 1, 1.5mm ?

3.) I read a review that has one of those PCI-E to AGP bridges. Here is a reference to the text and the reviewer thinks it really needs a heat sink... Do I use a 1 pc tiny heat sink 10x10mm for the small bridge chip or how do people cool these ?
Review that talks about the bridge chip:
https://www.bjorn3d.com/2009/10/sapphire-hd-4650-agp/
"Once I turned the card over I was terrified to see this. No heat sink what so ever… I don’t know what was going through the Sapphire engineers, but this chip really needs a heat sink. I would suggest rigging something together otherwise the card will probably not last as long as it should."
Image06S.jpg
Unt442itled.jpg

1. You use paste between the core and the HS
2. I can't tell you which size thermal pads. Depends on the card but they need good pressure on them
3. They do sell small heatsinks for mosfets one of those would likely work for the bridge chip. https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-MOS-C10-Forged-Copper-Heatsinks/dp/B004CL89D8
4. Why are you going through so much trouble for a very old card. Might be easier/cheaper to replace it

2. I can't tell you which size thermal pads. Depends on the card but they need good pressure on them
- I mean thermal stickers the ones that attach those heat sinks to components(double sided stickers). Are those double sided stickers same as those pads you can cut from large sheets ?

3. They do sell small heatsinks for mosfets one of those would likely work for the bridge chip.
- Yes but do I need a larger(30x30mm) to cover also the pink rubber ? Is the pink rubber a thermal pad or some kind of protector only ?

4. Why are you going through so much trouble for a very old card. Might be easier/cheaper to replace it

- You know. No better AGP cards available cheaply that are able to draw DirectX10.1. These are pretty rare most have been scrapped and recycled already.

Enzotech heat sinks seems for USA market only. Are they made in USA too ? Certainly sell for premium 20-30$ heatsinks :thup:
No chinese Ebay seller sells similar round copper rod ones. I can get a pouch of 50-100pcs of similar aluminium ones(9x9,14x14,20x20,25x25mm) for 5$ from china ebay.

Single: AGP HD3850, HD4670, 7900GS and such cost like 60-150usd$ "crazy money" in Ebay.com(huge hype) I can get a superb thinkpad laptop with that price.

- In reality an old high-end(=at that time 2004-2005) "vintage" AGP fully loaded desktop computers cost no more than max.50usd$.

Back