• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes they are

Make sure you get the shroud or build you'r own to maximum efficiency out of them .They are big and hard to fit into most cases.Dimensions are 8 1/2"x6 1/4"x 2" without shroud,4" with shroud and Enremax 120mm fan (adjustable goodness) :beer: .I used this same core on a Prescott 3.2 running at 4.0 temps for me were 115f idle 145f load.Then changed to balck Ice Extreme II.
Dropped temps approx. 114f idle and 142f load.Went with BIE II for clearance.My heater core was located in the top front of my tower which cut down on how many optical drives i could have.

Looks like a modded Chevette heater core and they are good, but if you have the room I would go with a heater coore that supports 2 120mm fans, like the bonneville core, gives you more surface area.

Here are some pics

Antec with BE2 and Cheiftec with Heater core

Attachments

• Antec BE2 Front.jpg
    Antec BE2 Front.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Antec BE2 Top.jpg
    Antec BE2 Top.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Chieftec HC Front.jpg
    Chieftec HC Front.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Chieftec HC Top.jpg
    Chieftec HC Top.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like normal heatercore, but I wonder if that pics is so bad or this one is old / used? Would it be hard to get Lada (a russian car) heatercore in America? There seem to be the best, and I'm serious.

Thanks for all your replies guys :D
I don't live in America Ven0m, and it is in fact easy to find a Lada heatercore where I live. I might try that ;) .

Oh just another quick question, I'm thinking of buying this pump but it only comes with 3/8 fittings. There's an option to buy a 3/8 -> 1/2 converter, how would that impact performance? I'm planning to run the whole system on 1/2 tubing.

They are the Chevy Chevette heater cores. Here is one of mine with a core I got from the autoparts store. The shrouds are from dangerden. One of the best here is the Pontiac Bonneville core.
water06.jpg

water10.jpg

water19.jpg

from the looks of it and the overall dimensions, I would agree that the single 120 DD core is a chevette core. The factory copper inlet and outlet match up with the chevette core as well.

chevette core part numbers: fedco 2-161 GDI #399069

mod yer own?
http://www.ocmodshop.com/default.aspx?a=228

the bonneville cores are great for dual 120s if you have the space. there are 2 different versions from the b'ville that are often used - the 2-302 (GDI 399078) and the 2-199 (GDI 398219). More info on the b'ville cores (as in a lot more info):
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304440&page=1&pp=30

now, if you have a massive case or don't mind and external box setup - my current project is a shroud for something really insane...pic attached - the cutouts are for 120mm fans:

Attachments

• mnstrcr2shrdrzd.jpg
    mnstrcr2shrdrzd.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 218
anarki_gr said:
Thanks for all your replies guys :D
I don't live in America Ven0m, and it is in fact easy to find a Lada heatercore where I live. I might try that ;) .

Oh just another quick question, I'm thinking of buying this pump but it only comes with 3/8 fittings. There's an option to buy a 3/8 -> 1/2 converter, how would that impact performance? I'm planning to run the whole system on 1/2 tubing.

Oh, I haven't checked location, my bad :D Lada heatercores have other design, with thin parallel fins. They're used in poland by people who like silence, as their air restriction is VERY low (more air goes through, less tubulence = less noise), they can be used even passive in some cases (but I don't like passive, so let's forget it). Unfortunatly I hadn't got opportunity to check these heatercores against Black ice or similiar with extreme power fans. With slow fans, they beat anything I've seen.

And bigdaddyTank - very nice rig. Where should I look for grid like you have on front of case?

bigdaddyTank said:
Thanks. That is Hex Mesh from Crazypc. Its like Modders Mesh Its very easy to cut and shape.

I was rather thinking that you got it from some shop used usually by car tuners :) Price is higher than I expected, but still very acceptable, comparing to cost of fan grills and looking at what you can do with it.

I found another rad which is available here, this one, any thoughts? Looks like a heater core to me, but then again what do I know? :clap:

ps: nice rig indeed bigdaddyTank, grats :)

It seems to be pretty nice. Interesting thing is that it's pretty thin, so less surface, but more airflow and less air pressure drop. First impression is positive.

if you want the best setup for overall performance (not for when your just doing light activities with no noise) get a chevette core and shroud. Then bolt a sanyo sanace 120mm fan to it and attach the fan to a fan controller that allows adjustment from 7v-12v. You you want it to be quiet, turn the fan down and you won't even be able to hear it - if you need more cooling, crank up the fans to a tolerable level. The cost for the whole setup will still be less than most of the commercial rads and it will provide a wider range of cooling.

now, if you just want insane cooling on either end of the spectrum (with quiet fans or overvolted deltas), just build an external box and bolt one of these in it (it is a work in progress so it is not exactly pretty yet - but it will be :) ):

Attachments

• weaponmonstercore2.jpg
    weaponmonstercore2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 315
Ven0m said:
What is THAT? A heatercore from train? It doesn't looks as car radiator...

It is definitely a heatercore. :D It has 12 flow channels down one side and 12 more up the other side - so it is dual pass but with so many channels it has just about zip for flow restriction.

would any commercial H2O rad like to step up at any given level of airflow? :p

It isn't finished yet but it should be by wednesday. I am building a fully tweaked prototype quad chambered shroud for it tonight...I might bolt one to each side just for the fun of it. Anyway, the core's fittings have already been swapped out to my usual flow cannons and it is soaking in an acid cleaning solution at the moment awaiting its makeover. more to follow (i have plenty of gas for the torch and more than enough beer to play with this core 'til tuesday. muahahahahahaha. :)

Back