• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HeatSink Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DannyTheDamager

Registered
Ok...time to pull the trigger is close at hand...

Contenders...

Thermalright XP-120
Coolermaster KHC-L91-U1 Hyper 48
thermaltake Sonic Tower
Thermaltake Tower 112
Zalman 7000

@ Everyone

Do any of you have experience with any of these heatsinks and have any positive or negative comments to make?

Right now, I'm leaning heavily toward the Thermalright XP-120.

BTW, I'll use two of these for dual Opteron procs on a Tyan K8WE MOBO.

from memory the xp-120 has outperformed many of them in comparitive testing - i know for a fact that the xp-120 is much better than the hyper 48 and zalman 7000 from silentpcreview tests of all three sinks. the xp-90 is better than them as well.

that leaves your other options as thermaltake - i haven't been able to find much comparing their latest offerings to thermalright, however with their past efforts and continuing fraudulent advertising (16 dba i think they spec for their 1300 rpm 120mm fan) i intend never to give them any of my money. sorry for the rant, but i have little respect for thermaltake as a company. that said, their tower heatsinks may perform well so long as you're comfortable with the tremendous weight increase over the xp-120, and if they end up as a cheaper option then i can't imagine them cooling poorly.

i don't know how well the spacing is for that motherboard, make sure anything you're going to order will fit!

Thermalright XP-120
-Non-Universal Mounting System (Needs Adapter for LGA775)
-Poorly Lapped Base (On Some/Many)
-Size

-Weight + Poor Mounting System

thermaltake Sonic Tower
-Poor Fan Mounting
-Poorly Lapped Base

Thermaltake Tower 112
-Poorly Lapped Base

Zalman 7000
-Bad peformance

BTW, I'll use two of these for dual Opteron procs on a Tyan K8WE MOBO.
Thats cutting it awefully close in terms of clearence, ESPECIALLY with the size of the XP120. Your best bet lies with an XP-90C. Even with an XP90 you will lose atleast 1 of your dimm slots on both CPUs
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thxp.html

Thnaks for the comments guys - I had already pretty much settled on the XP120 or the XP90...

I think the XP120 is going to makeme lose the front RAMslots as you say. I am trying to find out if this is alos true for the XP90...we'll see...

Sentential said:
Thermalright XP-120
-Size

thermaltake Sonic Tower
-Poor Fan Mounting
-Poorly Lapped Base

Thermaltake Tower 112
-Poorly Lapped Base

Zalman 7000
-Bad peformance

not a very positive person are you?

Well EWBatOVAclockin what I think he means is that it is made for silence. If you put a really good fan on it might preform better, but the fan is made to be quiet.
Thats why the xp-120 might be picked over it, you get to choose the type of fan on it.

mantralord said:

Yeah..this is what my desiciion comes down to now...

either an XP90 or an XP90C ...

Turns out the 120 fits for 1 proc on the mobo without intruding on the DIMMS for that proc...but the intrusion poccurs on teh other proc, leaving not enough space for DIMM A1.

...after reading this...

http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_xp-90c-01.html

the XP-90C takes the lead going into the final streach...

Well, I havent owned any of the thermalTake heatsinks, but I wouldnt even conister them. ThermalTake is a sorry a** company. I mean why would you rely on a crappy brand to keep your $250+ CPU from frying

I really didnt like the XP120. I had both it and the XP90 before going to water cooling. Both were a real pain to mount if you change things around alot. I wouldn't buy another unless it was going in a system that would rarely if ever be upgraded.

Arthur said:
Sentential said:
Thermalright XP-120
-Size

thermaltake Sonic Tower
-Poor Fan Mounting
-Poorly Lapped Base

Thermaltake Tower 112
-Poorly Lapped Base

Zalman 7000
-Bad peformance

not a very positive person are you?

Well its not that im NOT a positive person, its more that people tend to inflate the strenths of something instead of realistically discussing its weaknesses.

Personally I prefer thinking outside of the box and doing my own thing. If I were in your position this is what I would run.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-108-037&depa=0

<showing suggestions, you can find it cheaper elsewhere>

Its a good HSF, sports a 92mm fan, and its vertical without any heatpipes. Not to mention that the fins are localized. This way you wont have any clearence issues to speak of.

Sentential said:
Arthur said:
Well its not that im NOT a positive person, its more that people tend to inflate the strenths of something instead of realistically discussing its weaknesses.

true, but still, saying it has bad performance is a pretty fast conclusion...

stock, mine was pretty good... with a panaflo 92mm on it (which took all of 15 minutes + mounting the heatsink, 30 minutes total from shutting down/booting up), its definately a competitor to an XP-90 at the same noise lvl...

well, now that the rant is over, XP-90C Baby ^^

I am extremely satisfied with my Zalman 7000. It's extremely quiet, fits on my board perfectly, and keeps my temps way down. I think my overlock on my XP 2100+ Thoroughbred is pretty decent. With Vcore at 1.85V, I'm able to run 166x14 (a 34% overclock compared to stock speeds) never breaching 50 degrees C even after hours of P95 torture test.

Granted, I have no real basis for comparison, but the Zalman has exceeded my expectations in all respects. I believe it's also a fair bit cheaper than the Thermalrights and comes as an assembled unit, rather than having to buy a separate fan. That said, if you demand the absolute best in air cooling, I don't blame you for going along with the majority of forum members who love Thermalright. They must be great heatsinks considering the amount of praise they receive here!

Not on your list, but works great for me...
Aerocool HT-101
...copper pipes and fins; can have two fans attached (works best with one blowing onto the fins, and the other serving as an exhaust).

Back