• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heavily Stripped Down 7 for Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cryonics

Registered
Hi guys, I need a heavily stripped down 7 for my rig.
I just need basic essential Windows to run my game, I don't need unnecessary add-on like printer, bluetooth, tools or whatsoever.
can I do that? if that possible I think I'm gonna purchase windows 7 license again for gaming purpose only.

Last edited:
Is it for your system in your signature?

I'm sorry if so, that won't be gaming much of anything no matter the version of Windows 7, probably minecraft. It also doesn't have enough RAM to run either.

Windows 7 Configuration Tool

Have not tried it myself but worth a look.......

Getting started with RT Se7en Lite

RT Se7en Lite is developed by Rockers Team to customize windows 7 operating system and to make it lite. You can add wallpapers, Icons, themes, integrate updates, drivers, language packs, applications, remove components, enable or disable features, unattended installation settings, bootable ISO and USB creator , etc. It will be very easy to operate and changing the style of your windows 7 operating system.

It supports both 32 and 64 bit windows 7 operating system only. It will not support Windows vista and windows server 2008. Windows 7 operating system has many built-in applications, and you can remove all unwanted applications using RT Se7en lite. So by using RT Se7en Lite you can do miracles with windows 7 operating systems.

I would suggest you run XP instead of 7 even on that dual core rig. If all you need is an OS to game, just get XP. It'll allow you to run your computer and your games faster, smoother and better!

As mentioned windows xp is your best bet for that rig because i don't know if a hd 5470 even supports dx11, correct me if im wrong. Windows 7 will use 1+ gb of ram just to get up and running which leaves you with 1.5gb for gaming, which isn't a whole lot for gaming purposes.

I can run GTA IV, and Skyrim quite good and enjoyable in my rig.
AFAIK some newer games doesn't support DX9 anymore and some game run faster in 7 than XP. and I think my HD5470 support DX11. CMIIW

The question then comes down to what games you will be playing. You are right that XP doesn't support anything higher than DX9. If you are playing games that are even remotely recent, then I would suggest that you go with 7. Those stats about games playing better on 7 are games that are post DX9, and obviously are optimized to run on an OS that can actually handle the game to begin with..so the stats are politically correct bias stats :p

so, my point is I want to make Windows 7 performance as close as Windows XP.
to make it simple I want a modern Windows XP

It should perform the same or better than XP, even with a clean install.

It should perform the same or better than XP, even with a clean install.

I would have to disagree. I noticed a good decrease in my games smoothness on my old Dual Core Xeon Server @ 3.2Ghz with 4GB of RAM when I switched from XP to 7. FPS went down, and the loading times increased by a good 20-35% percieved.

If you want a modern XP, then I would suggest looking into that RT Se7en Light version of 7! It'll do everything you want :D

I've done pretty much for every possible basic tweak to improve my gaming experience, like disabling unnecessary startup program in msconfig, ready boost, disabling visual style, updating driver, defrag my HD, but still the performance does not satisfy me. Because I believe I can do more with XP.

for now I think I'm gonna experimenting with RT7lite on my system

Stripping your W7 OS will not improve FPS much at all. Its the rig that is in incredibly bad shape. XP may help just a hair, but, you arent playing anything outside of flash based games on that machine. Save your money for a new PC.

Back