• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! BSOD and cant boot into windows.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacksun

Thank you in advance for the help that you might give me.

Just 25 minutes ago I was playing Shadow Of mordor, when suddenly the game pauses, freezes and BSOD with a buzzing sound.

Dismissing it, I restarted my pc and restarted the game.
( once i started the game I checked my cpu temp which sat at 32 Celsius under load.)
Then after 15 minutes the same scenario happened.
So I restarted, went into the bios and loaded the optimized defaults.
I selected the restore prompt, but then all my pc gives me is just a black screen.
Which leads me to believe that my 290x is borked?
Also take note that I was running it at stock clocks.
What do I do?
Thanks.

It's unlikely that the fault lies with the PSU, the motherboard can't be ruled out either.

A suggestion for a quick check is to install a good graphics card to test with and loan out your card to someone with a good quality 650W+ PSU. The first might be relatively easy, the second could be difficult/impossible, any real computer stores near you that you could get to check your GPU?

Well, I still have my 760 around i'll try that.
The PSU does not seem like the culprit, what worries is the fact that it does not even load the windows restore app.

Update booted fine.

I enabled ECO mode in the bios, and disabled full screen windows logo.
Doing a full scan with both my anitviruses.
Still.
Should I RMA the 290X and get a 970 or replace it?

Last edited:
RMA the 290X, test it to make sure it works after receiving the replacement, then promptly sell it on ebay. Take the proceeds and apply them to a GTX 970.

If it booted fine with the 760, the scans come up clean and your normal usage/gaming, etc. is fine, then I'd say the 290x has probably failed - without testing it on another machine, I wouldn't be 100% sure of that though.

Sorry I didnt explain myself properly.
I managed to boot with my 290x and I just played an hour of Evolve without issues.
I did notice some artifacting appear while idle at the desktop.

If you have artifacts whether at idle or under load with a video card running at stock frequencies then something is wrong. RMA the card.

edit: running at stock speeds. Noted

Its quite possible you damaged it yourself running that ram that high up. The temps on the ram get very hot, and with an overclock of that magnitude, its entirely likely you may have damaged something yourself.

Last edited:
Hmmm

Still it wasn't giving me any artifacts with firestrike, So I assumed that it was stable.
Thing is, It is completely fine while gaming at max settings.

Back