• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building a gaming computer from scratch. $750 budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey thanks for suggestion and info. That one is really nice and has good reviews but I was looking at 21" Asus monitor that is half the price but has like 7 newegg customer reviews and the 24" has 580 reviewbut is double the price. Is there a huge difference besides size? I would post link but I am at work on my phone. Thanks in advance. That g skill ram is sold out on a few sites should I wait and watch or are thier alternatives?

Man I wish I knew/could build my own computer parts

If your low on cash get the 21" Asus monitor. The one I posted is 144Hz gaming monitor and the 21" is 60Hz.

Didnt see that msg till now. Actually after doing some reading deff get 144hz haha . Just wanted to say I appreciate the help from all you guys in helping me build my comp as well

At this rate should have made it a $1200 budget

Last edited:
Didnt see that msg till now. Actually after doing some reading deff get 144hz haha . Just wanted to say I appreciate the help from all you guys in helping me build my comp as well

At this rate should have made it a $1200 budget

Are you interested in doing that? If you give us $1200 we can get you into a nice quad core Intel build with a very beefy GPU.

Are you interested in doing that? If you give us $1200 we can get you into a nice quad core Intel build with a very beefy GPU.
man its tempting. Im sure if you guys helped me with parts I would end up doing that. I already bought the ram and the power supply that was more mentioned in 2nd post. Eh screw it ill put $1200 In. Is monitor included in budget?

Good thing I checked this post today cause tommorow I was getting 24 inch 144 hz asus monitor lol and the graphics card mentioned in the 2nd post of thread. So sure id appreciate help as if it was 1200 budget.

What is the difference of quad core than the latter? Is it just clearly alot better?

I have to say I get more and more excited for every part i buy or about to buy. This comp is going to be a god tier upgrade compared to what I have now!

Last edited:
man its tempting. Im sure if you guys helped me with parts I would end up doing that. I already bought the ram and the power supply that was more mentioned in 2nd post. Eh screw it ill put $1200 In. Is monitor included in budget?

Good thing I checked this post today cause tommorow I was getting 24 inch 144 hz asus monitor lol and the graphics card mentioned in the 2nd post of thread. So sure id appreciate help as if it was 1200 budget.

What is the difference of quad core than the latter? Is it just clearly alot better?

I have to say I get more and more excited for every part i buy or about to buy. This comp is going to be a god tier upgrade compared to what I have now!

The Intel quad cores are more powerful than the AMD 6 cores because the cores on the Intel side are stronger. AMD uses "modules" which are 2 cores each and those cores share resources. Intel cores are more "independant".

If you want to do $1200 with a monitor included in the budget you have a couple of different options:

1) If you already have an OS (Windows 7 or later) that's not installed anywhere else you can use it for this build and save $100. In that case I suggest:

i5 4670K
ASUS Z87-A
your existing RAM
your existing power supply
Western Digital Blue 1TB
your choice of cheapo DVD+RW drive
ATI R9 280X GPU
Corsair 200R case

^This is the build I would do personally with $1000 budget for parts.

-OR- you can get the CPU and MOBO from the first build which, although inferior, will still give decent performance, and you can put another $100 towards and even better GPU, or use it to buy an SSD now instead of later.

That leaves about $230 for a monitor, which will buy you a half decent model.

If you need to buy an OS (buy windows 8.1), you will need to drop the GPU to a lower model. In this case I suggest a GTX 760 2GB. They start at $235 (vs $299 for an R9280X). This frees up $65. You take another $35 from the monitor (leaving $165 for the monitor) and you have $100 for Windows 8.

Don't buy an SSD right (for the Intel build) now as it'll further eat into your CPU and GPU budgets. Buy one later when you have $100-200 spare. Samsung 840 EVO is most recommended on this forum because it is cheap and has decent performance.

This build has an overclockable CPU and motherboard so when you get yet another $80 or so you can get a top tier air cooler like an NHD14 or NHD15 and overclock the snot out of your CPU.

thanks a bunch man! i did hear good things about intel and im not including monitor in budget. i do want a good graphics card so ill go wit the ATI you mentioned first. dang i guess i do need to buy an OS. why do i need to drop the gpu down if i get windows 8.1? which os is the best and if its too expensive... which one is what most people get?

when i put ati r9 280x in newegg search nothing related to a gpu comes up or maybe ill try another site.

oh yea how do i plus one or add reputation if there is a way so i can give it to everyone who helped me in the thread!

Last edited:
thanks a bunch man! i did hear good things about intel and im not including monitor in budget.

If you aren't including a monitor in the $1200 budget I would build the same thing I said earlier, so

i5 4670K
ASUS Z87-A
your existing RAM
your existing power supply
Western Digital Blue 1TB
your choice of cheapo DVD+RW drive
ATI R9 280X GPU
Corsair 200R case

And then either upgrade the GPU to a GTX 780, or, more practically (if you're only gaming at 1080P), keep the 280X, and pick up a 240GB SSD and a decent air cooler for your CPU.

Back