• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Buying the Right Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBsteve

So I have a lady friend, and she found out I built my own computer. She naturally assumed I have a vast unlimited knowledge of all things computing. Problem is, I don't. So I was wondering if you guys could help me find a good laptop for her. Honestly I know enough to not go to places like Best Buy and buy one, so I was looking on newegg. I have a broad idea of good laptops, but not certain in regards to her needs. Basically, She's going to be doing things along the lines of moderate photo uploading and editing, movies, music, and school stuff. So basically your average laptop user. Most people would say save up and get a macbook, but her budget is around $500. Knowing all of this, could you guys point me to a few options to choose from?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E430, they start at 500 bucks, and are pretty damn solid computers. I love mine, i upgraded it with the i7 option which bumps up the price a lot, but it can be had with an i5 for fairly cheap, or even an i3. only suggestion i have is to upgrade the ram yourself, rather than doing it through Lenovo. It runs like crap with only one stick of ram, needs two.

$549 IMO...this sure is a great buy for Ivy Bridge processor i5-3210m driven laptop. 14.1" is a perfect size to lug around too.
Sale ends Sep 01, 2012 at Staples

Toshiba Satellite R945-P440
•Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost 3.1GHz 3MB L3 Cache Processor; Enjoy an automatic burst of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
•6GB DDR3 1600MHz Installed Memory, Expandable to 8GB
•750GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
•14.0" Diagonal Widescreen TruBrite® TFT LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
•Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

Generally not a fan of Toshibas but it is a good deal. Will keep it in mind as well, thank you.

Back