• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help case fan connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winter9999

hello guys! i recently purchased a halfmman 12v power supply (450w) and a cooler master 120mm fan with 70CFM flow.

these components aren't to be installed in a computer, i just needed some DC supply to my fan, i tried some phone chargers but they didn't have the output voltage that i needed.

now the problem is, i don't have the small clue how to connect them... i tried to connect the fan with the 4 pin connection (male) to the 4 pin connection (female) of the PSU and it simply doesn't work. let me post some pics for you so u can get clear vision on this subject... in the photo i'm holding the 4 pin connector of the psu... am i doing things right or not ?? sorry for the noobness :facepalm:

regards!:attn:

Attachments

• DSCF0201.JPG
    DSCF0201.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 57
In your hand is the female connector, correct? Look at the male connector in the photo. It looks like the two center pins are pushed back in the housing. They need to be pulled forward (actually pushed forward from the backside).

Someone with a tad bit more knowledge that me will come along soon....but in the mean time...the PSU needs a turn on signal from one cof the mobo connecters.

In your hand is the female connector, correct? Look at the male connector in the photo. It looks like the two center pins are pushed back in the housing. They need to be pulled forward (actually pushed forward from the backside).

ok ill do that and say if it worked in a min! EDIT: didnt work -.- dunno whats going on ...

Someone with a tad bit more knowledge that me will come along soon....but in the mean time...the PSU needs a turn on signal from one cof the mobo connecters.

but the thing is, the psu is not connected to any computer therefore there is no mother board signal.... the only connections in the psu are the power one (connected to 230V AC) and those 2 connections im holding in the photo for the fan... without motherboard signal the psu doesnt work ?? i really need some 12v DC supply to my fans...

thanks for the quick answers guys!

Last edited:
but the thing is, the psu is not connected to any computer therefore there is no mother board signal.... the only connections in the psu are the power one (connected to 230V AC) and those 2 connections im holding in the photo for the fan... without motherboard signal the psu doesnt work ?? i really need some 12v DC supply to my fans...

to turn on the PSU without the mobo,
you need to short the green wire and the black wire on the 24pin connectors (the big one).

trust me, you want to unplug the power from your AC wall first :D

ok ill do that and say if it worked in a min! EDIT: didnt work -.- dunno whats going on ...

Dig a bit of goolein...found this.... http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22

thanks guys i did the paperclip trick with the green wire and the problem is solved :thup: thanks guys!

Back