• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing a new GPU please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abdii

Hello,

Iam thinking about upgrading my current graphic card "Nvidia 8800", what do you recommend ?

Current Rig
Mobo: GA-P55-UD3L
Cpu: i5 760
PSU: 750watts Silver Stone
Ram: x2 DDR3 4.0gb/1600 Kingston
OS: Windows XP Home Edition (will buy windows 7 if necessary)

Do you think the addition of the new graphic card will allow me to play new MMORPGS " Rift, Star Wars, Diablo3, Guildwars2" with decent performance ?

Also, is it possible to consider a graphic card that i can use now and in future if i upgraded my system to a sandybridge and Sli or Crossfire compatible one ? "I can buy the new CPU/Mobo in October"

Or maybe i should just wait and buy a better graphic card with the new cpu/mobo in October ?

The price of this graphic card is no issue.

Thanks!

If the price is honestly no issue, grab yourself a GTX580 and be done with it.
It won't run to it's full potential without a faster CPU behind it, but it will stomp the 8800 all to hell.

or 2x water cooled gtx590 if price is no issue :p
id rather get a 250$ graphic card and spend the rest of the 250$ on a new mobo/cpu :p

what speed do run your i5 760 ? if its 4000ghz or more u will be fine . im waiting till the next gen of cpu s to come out . just get a new gpu now like a 6970 or 570 .

Get a 570, you use about 75% of that GPU with your current set up and BLOW that 8800gt away. Then when you upgrade your CPU/mobo/mem in the fall, you will have a kick butt GP for it already..
heck even if your current set up only uses 50% of the 570gpu, it'll blow that 8800 GT away. If you just wana get something for the NOW to use, look at a Geforce 4xx series. Im running a GTS470 and no issues and great performance.

Price/performance We're talking about 6950 with upgrade bios (6970)

You can go with an 6970 which would be more expansive for the same performance or if you want to go with an gt590 or 6990 you would have to upgrade your PSU but it will be futureproof so best Performance/Price we're really talking about a 6950

Price/performance We're talking about 6950 with upgrade bios (6970)

You can go with an 6970 which would be more expansive for the same performance or if you want to go with an gt590 or 6990 you would have to upgrade your PSU but it will be futureproof so best Performance/Price we're really talking about a 6950

i heard not all of the 6950 and 6970 use the same memory freq and voltage, thus upgrading the bios damages some of the cards? is this true?

I was going to buy GTX 580 and play with it till october when ill upgrade the system, but now you tell me it will run 75% of its potential only ?

Then how if i bought GTX 460 for cheap now , and then in October i can buy a new gtx.

So if i have to choose between 2 decisions:

1. Buy GTX 580 now , and in october upgrade CPU/MOBO/PSU + 1 more GTX 580 for sli.

2. Buy cheap GTX 460 now and in october upgrade CPU/MOBO + new single gpu "Maybe GTX 600 Series?"

in first case ill have to upgrade my 750watts psu in second ill keep it.

Or maybe i can keep/use my bad quality Force PowerBirde 1100 Watts power supply for sli/crossfire and save some money for the GPU/CPU/GPU.
http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/55/topower_intros_powerbird_900_1100w_psus/index.html

http://www.lives2.mlfnt.com/12943153651.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
i heard not all of the 6950 and 6970 use the same memory freq and voltage, thus upgrading the bios damages some of the cards? is this true?

If you take a card with the amd spec you wont have any problem Ive never heard about that my friend got an 6950 and flash the bios pretty easily. He didnt have any probleme its been 5 months ! But you know when you start to play in this kind of things there's always exeption and you always heard the people having probleme not the people that its working :p.

I was going to buy GTX 580 and play with it till october when ill upgrade the system, but now you tell me it will run 75% of its potential only ?

Then how if i bought GTX 460 for cheap now , and then in October i can buy a new gtx.

So if i have to choose between 2 decisions:

1. Buy GTX 580 now , and in october upgrade CPU/MOBO/PSU + 1 more GTX 580 for sli.

2. Buy cheap GTX 460 now and in october upgrade CPU/MOBO + new single gpu "Maybe GTX 600 Series?"

in first case ill have to upgrade my 750watts psu in second ill keep it.

Or maybe i can keep/use my bad quality Force PowerBirde 1100 Watts power supply for sli/crossfire and save some money for the GPU/CPU/GPU.
http://www.tweaktown.com/pressrelease/55/topower_intros_powerbird_900_1100w_psus/index.html

http://www.lives2.mlfnt.com/12943153651.jpg

Thanks!

If you know you will change dont pay for something you will throw out.. get a gtx580 and use it in your future system even if you dont get 100% of it because your system is not the best you will get smooth rendering in game and it will get even better with your new system so you will fall in love again with your card :p getting quality is never a bad idea. For the psu I dont know that model but its never good to use a cheap psu with hight end gpu since you dont want anything to happen to your expensive stuff better go with quality !

Anyways let us know your choice!

If you take a card with the amd spec you wont have any problem Ive never heard about that my friend got an 6950 and flash the bios pretty easily. He didnt have any probleme its been 5 months ! But you know when you start to play in this kind of things there's always exeption and you always heard the people having probleme not the people that its working :p.

yeah i guess,probably some fake rumor by a jealous nvidia fan or something haha :screwy:

Well there's 1GB 6950s and 2GB 6950s. Only the 2GB 6950s flash, since the 6970 is 2GB. Also, you need a reference design, the only non-reference card I know that flashes is the MSI Twin Frozr II, since they released a custom BIOS. And finally, flashing only unlocks the shaders. Clock speeds are left alone, so to get stock 6970 performance you still need to overclock, so it's not guaranteed that every card will make it that far. Despite all of that, it's still the best price/performance.

Well there's 1GB 6950s and 2GB 6950s. Only the 2GB 6950s flash, since the 6970 is 2GB. Also, you need a reference design, the only non-reference card I know that flashes is the MSI Twin Frozr II, since they released a custom BIOS. And finally, flashing only unlocks the shaders. Clock speeds are left alone, so to get stock 6970 performance you still need to overclock, so it's not guaranteed that every card will make it that far. Despite all of that, it's still the best price/performance.

Never heard anybody that it didnt work if you do it properly: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

its so easy and even if you dont have a reference model there is a lot of walk around even for a 1gb version but its a lot easier with a 2gb reference model.

Back