• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help - computer won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocs

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I built this rig a few years ago and I haven't had any problems. Everything was working fine yesterday, but today I turned on my computer and it won't boot up. I get the following message:

Reboot and Select proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I have 3 hard drives:
HD // 2 Seagate Barracuda 500GB ES.2 7200 RPM SATA (RAID 0)
Model: ST3500320NS
HD2 // 1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 RPM SATA
Model: ST3500410AS

Bios:
Storage Information: Configure SATA as RAID
Boot device priority: 1st Boot device: RAID: ST3500410AS
2nd Boot device: disabled

Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM utility:
RAID Volume:
ID: 0 Name: hd0 Level: RAID0(Stripe) Strip: 128KB Size: 931.5GB

Physical Disks:
Port: 1 Drive Model: ST3500410AS Serial#: 5VM0ADHS Size: 465.7GB
Type/Status: Non-RAID Disk

Port: 2 Drive Model: ST3500320NS Serial#: 9QM8E507 Size: 465.7GB
Type/Status: Member Disk(0)

On POST, it says no hard disk is detected

I really hope that one of my hard drives is not fried. I recently did a cleaning, but everything has been working fine in the couple of days since then.

Not really sure how to proceed. How can I determine if one of my hard drives is damaged? How can I tell which one is damaged? I'm trying to figure out where Windows is installed, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

considering you just did a cleaning i would check all your sata connections as well.

Thanks for your replies!!!

I did just check all of the SATA connections. Sadly, that is not the issue

As far as the RAID bios, do you mean the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Utility (where you create and delete RAID Volumes) ? I posted that information above. The Status for the RAID volume is Failed.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Any suggestions about how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

I would disconnect and reconnect everything.. Then I would listen (with the case cover off) for any signs of crazy clicking from any of the drives.. more so the RAID0 array. Also, if you go into (Control+I) BIOS, it should list all three drives, if one is missing, you've found your problem..

Thanks for your reply! I disconnected and reconnected everything. And I do hear a skipping sound that repeats on one of the drives. Furthermore, that is the drive that does not show up in the RAID bios. I switched the power cables and SATA cables around, and that one drive is the one that does not respond.

So, I guess that drive is shot.

Any suggestions about how to proceed. Do I just have to clean the working RAID drive, buy 1 more and configure the RAID again. Should I purchase 2 new drives if I want to do the RAID 0 again? Any suggestions on how to configure the drives next time?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks. Yeah, it sucks. I just read a bunch about SSD's. It's time to make the jump. Thanks for the advice.

Back