• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help controlling fans on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thedogman

Registered
In the gigabyte bios my fans are all set to normal mode which the manual says will be controlled by temperature. Even when my pc is idle they are running at around 900 to 1000rpm. Under the manual option the fans can only be set to percentages of the max speed. I tried using speed fan but my fans don't show up in it. I also downloaded the gigabyte app siv and set the fans to run quiet, but they still all run at around 900rpms. I would like my cpu and gpu fans to run only when a certain temperature is reached, is there a way to set rpm ranges between certain temps? Should I just buy a fan controller like the Aquacomputer aquaero 5 LT USB? Gigabyte seems to have horrible fan control. My fans are all 4 pins pmw and connected to 4pin. Why cant the mobo control them based on temp?

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro LED 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair ML140 Pro LED 97.0 CFM 140mm Fan

Try resetting your CMOS. Also insure that in the manual the fan speed is changing based on CPU temp, not SYS/PWR temp ;)

In the gigabyte bios my fans are all set to normal mode which the manual says will be controlled by temperature. Even when my pc is idle they are running at around 900 to 1000rpm. Under the manual option the fans can only be set to percentages of the max speed. I tried using speed fan but my fans don't show up in it. I also downloaded the gigabyte app siv and set the fans to run quiet, but they still all run at around 900rpms. I would like my cpu and gpu fans to run only when a certain temperature is reached, is there a way to set rpm ranges between certain temps? Should I just buy a fan controller like the Aquacomputer aquaero 5 LT USB? Gigabyte seems to have horrible fan control. My fans are all 4 pins pmw and connected to 4pin. Why cant the mobo control them based on temp?

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

to my understanding, you're expecting that all your fans will be fully stop during idle system condition (temps).
am I right?

if I'm right and that's what you expect; it won't happen.
AFAIK, all 4 wired fans on the PC lineup were never intended to be full stopped even at 0% control input (and AFAIK, Corsair don't state the RPM range for their 4 wired fans).
in 3 wire control case; our fans need a certain level of voltage to start spinning, if the output voltage level drop below this minimum requirement, the fan won't spin but the voltage is still being applied to the fan(s). And this ain't not a good condition for the fan.

as for the temperature control; this would be mean that the RPM will run according to the systems' temps which the controller monitor (be it CPU temps, mosfet, chipset, or whatever it related to).
you can confirm this by giving some load to your system and monitor your fans RPM in accordance to the system temps.

Back