• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help finding password

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

My neise gave me her old Gateway computer this past Christmas,I was going to take all off her pictures and stuff and reinstall Windows and we're going to give it to my great niece for her upcoming birthday.

It's running win Vista and she has it password protected and she can't remember what it is.

Is there a way to get passed this? I have no clue.

Yeah theres a linux password cracker you can use. I forget the name of it but you put it on a usb or cd and run it and can REMOVE all passwords. Just have to be careful it works inside the kernel.

if your going to reinstall windows any way just use DBAN and wipe the hard drive clean then install windows

Boot up in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 when the PC starts) and log on with the built-in administrator account, then reset the account password.

Just a friendly suggestion. Connect an external drive to an extension power surge protector with an on/off switch. Then simply turn it ON to make backups of your valuable files onto external storage and off after you're done.

Keeping only one copy of your personal files on your main rig is playing with disaster. You can only really begin to feel that you have something secured if it is backed up somewhere away from your working system.

Look, today only special:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178111
4 (four) TB
$239.99 original price, instant savings of $70.00 (29%) to $169.99.
+ $30 off w/ promo code 0114WNTER60, ends Jan/20/2014
Total price of: $139.99 + tax, free shipping.

I'm surprised mounting the drive as a secondary drive in another machine allowed access. Any time I've ever done that, it's always asked me for credentials if I had them set up.

But yeah, make sure you always keep a backup of things like photos and documents that aren't replaceable!

Back