• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP]First WC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharMz

Water Cooling:

CPU Block:
D-Tek Fuzion v2
VS
EK Supreme

Cooling a Q9550

Pump:
Eheim 1250?

Eheim VS Swifttech?

Radiator:
Black Ice GTS
VS
Black Ice Pro 3

Reservoir:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...2_Liquid_Cooling_Reservoir.html?tl=g30c97s165
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7..._200mm_No_Fittings_TNK-200.html?tl=g30c97s165
?

Tubing:
Tygon?

1/2?

Other:
Clamps
Liquid
Barbs
?

Case: Lian-Li PC-V2000B Plus II (Thinking of either cutting holes in the top/bottom for the rad)

Budget: $350 USD
I will only be buying a CPU block atm, more will come later, so please just set me up with some good stuff, that will last :D

Last edited:
7/16

I recommend 1/2 for ease of use, but in reality 3/8 is only marginally worse than either 7/16 or 1/2. (ie. They're pretty close within 1-2 degrees)

7/16" Tubing + 1/2" Barbs FTW! .. This combo is great, you heat up the tubing a tad before so it goes on the barb easy then it shrinks down over it creating an extremely tight seal .. In most cases you won't need to use hose clips (although I still did .. I'm paranoid .. )

FuZion v2 is the slightly better performer .. Especially with Quads (that's a point, post up your system specs or what you plan to actually cool) ..

The Eheim pump seems a tad excessive to me .. I'd go for a Laing DDC-1 pump + an aftermarket top ..

for your first setup i would recomend sticking with 1/2" hose with 1/2" barbs (remember to get your OD (outside diameter) @ 3/4") and use clamps - Reason being because you will ultimately want to change some stuff around (being your first steup).. and pulling 7/16 tubing off 1/2" barbs is ridiculously hard.

I agree with Anubis on the pump, if your going with CPU only then i would just go with a DCC 10W or DCC 18W (laing pumps, same as swiftech MCP350 and 355) with an XSPC top for extra performance.

For radiators.. 3 core is overkill for cpu only IMO but good for future WC'n addons like GPU or chipset coolers (both DCC pumps should be fine for addons unless you WC like everything in your case) but as far as between the ones you chose.. Black ICE (insert pro/gtx here) = high cfm for good temps , but again since your using planning on a 3 core for cpu only might not need such high cfm to only cool that :shrug:

Personally i would recommend going with a MCR320 for a triple rad nice performance with low CFM and not as pricey as the thermochill counterparts. And more so, will still cool well with low cfm even with future addons.

remember lower cfm = more quietness :D

As far as those two res's you have linked.. i'd go with the EK multi option

There's MHO

:beer:

ok well i had posted i was cooling a Q9550 which is a quad :p, but let me tell you..

CPU: Q9550
GPU: GTX 280
MOBO: ASUS Rampage Formula

i am only cooling the cpu first...the gpu and mobo will come later

7/16" Tubing + 1/2" Barbs..cant i just get 1/2 of both or no?

EDIT: 1/2" hose with 1/2" barbs (remember to get your OD (outside diameter) @ 3/4") how do i do that?

Last edited:
Yeh soz .. I missed that .. 1/2" Tube + 1/2" Barb + Hose clips would actually probs be the best idea (as replice) said .. Cause you will want to move stuff around and re-do bits .. When I did my loop I had to cut off the tubing from the barb cause I couldn't yank it off ..

Go with the FuZion v2 and get the Quad Core insert ...

thank you had no idea about the quad core insert :D, also do i have to buy barbs or will they come with the items?

barbs come with the block, pump, and thats all i believe. not sure about that rad but i changed my plastic ones for metal. also i would go with the MCR 320 rad and not black ice stuff. but thats just me.

MCR320 is cheaper than anything (besides heatercores) so it going to be one of the best per $$. You will have to buy a few barbs, namely for the rad.

Back