• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Identifying an Engineering Sample

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhOdInI

Please have a look at these pics and tell me if this chip is a real 3.2 Extreme Edition Engineering Sample. What do u think of the overclocking potential of such a cpu? Is it worth whacking $1k for it over the $700 of a "normal" 3.2EE? My cooling solution is the one in my sig, i plan on adding another heatercore and a cascade wb. I also plan on Vmodding my mb in the next couple of days so memory shouldnt be a bottleneck. i believe a 4ghz EE will be possible.

Bottom of the Cpu

CPU top

Well, you probably shouldn't of even posted this, because ES CPUs aren't supposed to be sold. Also, ES CPUs tend to be from the early production line, so they are not always the best overclockers. Nowadays they don't usually offer many multipliers either, my guess is only 15X, 16X, and possibly 17X (if even that many). That's one thing I'd ask up front, what multipliers are available. Personally, I don't think it's worth $1k, but that's merely my opinion. I doubt it'll do 4 gig on water... maybe phase change cooling.

Well, the multiplier range of the CPU is 12x - 17x and i have seen it running on air @ 3.6 on default voltage 1.525V.

The 3.6 on air at default voltage, is what i can do with my 3.2C with a stock cooler so that doesn't sound all that impressive... as for the multiplyer 17x200 will give ya 3400... so you may get a bit more ocing out of it... but i think getting a real 3.4ee would make more sence...
but thats just me...

checked again and the top multiplier factor is 18. so that makes it 12-18. so 4ghz is achieved with a mere 222FSB *18. i dont believe i can get a 3.4EE for less than $900. both replies respected and appreciated. keep them coming :)

Back