• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me build a new video editing rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why did you order both a Bluray writer and a DVD writer? A Bluray writer will burn DVDs and CDs too.
🙄 Seriously you don't think I know that?

I put 2 drives cause that's what they asked for. I am guessing for 1:1 copies idk.

I started doubting myself on the CM 212 EVO so I cancelled that and got the Scythe Fuma 2 120mm Air CPU Cooler instead.

Why would you go with a the 860 EVO instead of the NVME? There would be a loss of performance in doing so. Is this a cost cutting measure?

And why would you go with the 9900k instead of the 9900KF? Are you saying you would drop the video card in favor of using the 9900k IGP? If you are keeping the video card that doesn't make sense.

The reason is quicksync, premier leverages the iGPU as a hardware encoder, in addition to utilizing the GPU and CPU. The difference is marked, take a look a the Puget benchmarks.

�� Seriously you don't think I know that?

I put 2 drives cause that's what they asked for. I am guessing for 1:1 copies idk.

So this build is not for yourself. I don't think you mentioned that in the beginning. Installing two optical drives just struck me as odd being as how optical media is slowly on the way out. A lot of new factory built computers don't even have them anymore and 5.25" slots are becoming uncommon in aftermarket towers.

So this build is not for yourself. I don't think you mentioned that in the beginning. Installing two optical drives just struck me as odd being as how optical media is slowly on the way out. A lot of new factory built computers don't even have them anymore and 5.25" slots are becoming uncommon in aftermarket towers.
Yeah I know cause I had a hard time finding a good case that still had 5.25" external slots. I've worked with this Thermaltake Core V71 before. Although it's a full tower, the airflow with the 200mm fans is great and cable managment is a breeze.

I got the PC up and running, just doing some stress testing, but damn my i9900k at stock is running HOT so I had to stock Prime95 which was hitting over 100°c . The idle temp for all cores is 27-29°c. I don't know what it could be though, I might have to reapply the thermal paste.

I hate to break this to you but a CM Hyper 212 Evo is not going to cut it when stress testing a 9900k with newer releases of Prime95. It would probably be adequate for most real life computing tasks but, having said that, video editing is pretty demanding I think. Did you have the AVX 512 box checked or unchecked in Prime95?

I hate to break this to you but a CM Hyper 212 Evo is not going to cut it when stress testing a 9900k with newer releases of Prime95. It would probably be adequate for most real life computing tasks but, having said that, video editing is pretty demanding I think. Did you have the AVX 512 box checked or unchecked in Prime95?
I mentioned earlier I got the Scythe Fuma 2 120mm instead of the CM Hyper 212 EVO. I am reading up on some stuff I can disable in Bios to improve temps.

This video shows temp results from cooling a 9900k with the Sycthe Fuma 2.

Note that this testing reports temps while running benchmarks and productivity software, not stress testing with Prime95 and note also he is using an open bench test platform. Putting the system inside a case will typically result in adding a few degrees to the temps. Stress testing a 9900k with Prime95 will bring all but the best cooling systems to their knees. Have you tried a more realistic stress test such as Realbench or AIDA64 Extreme? A lot of people are abandoning Prime95 with the higher end newer generation of CPUs because it is just overkill and can generate dangerously high temps.

The cooling system you currently have in place may prove to be adequate for real life computing even if it can't handle Prime95 stress tests. When the CPU temps reach 100c the CPU will start to throttle to protect itself. A good 360mm water cooling AIO might have been a better choice, however.

Last edited:
There isn't much.. it's voltage you adjust. ;)

(update your signature, btw)
Thanks and this is not my rig, building it for a friend. I am however now tempted to build myself a new one.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

This video shows temp results from cooling a 9900k with the Sycthe Fuma 2.
Thanks that's the video that convinced me to get this cooler over the Hyper 212 and yeah I understand water cooling would be better.

Update:
I reapplied the thermal paste just to be sure and I didn't go past 90 degrees in Realbench.

Attachments

• 20200221_140727.jpg
    20200221_140727.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
You should be good to go then. I think this build will be a good one for your customer's use. Speaking from personal experience, it seems I always wish I had done this or that a little different when a build is finished. Thing is, the components available are always changing. Always something a little better has come along in the meantime.

Here is the test with ADA64 Extreme, did go higher temps but noticed it would quickly recover from those 90+ readings and I did add the GPU testing in there too.

Attachments

• 20200221_155157.jpg
    20200221_155157.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 42
No thermal throttling so it should be okay as long as his ambient room air temps are similar to yours and the area he places the computer is not a confined space.

My room temp at the moment is 75. Here is 15 minute Prime95 with all AVX disabled and the highest temp on 1 of the cores was 81 degrees.

Attachments

• 20200221_165203.jpg
    20200221_165203.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
It always seemed to me it takes about 20 minutes for Prime to really get cranked up. But it has changed so much lately I'm not sure it still behaves that way. These days I use mostly Realtbench and OCCT. I like those because they aren't so extreme but are intense enough to do a good job of testing for stability when overclocking. And I can set a timer on both of them. Realbench has a built-in temp monitor. OCCT also has several temp and voltage monitors.

AVX makes a huge difference but there's isn't much AVX instruction in most software. Although some AVX is found in a lot of things these days it's not found in concentrated amounts like it is in Prime95 except maybe in some specialty engineering and scientific apps. OCCT has the option of no AVX, AVX 1, AVX 2 and also linpack and stand alone gpu stress testing. The thing I like about Realbench is that it is a renderer and uses the GPU to help with that.

If you want a real quick and dirty stress test, try IntelBurnTest. You'll find out real quick if your cooling is adequate with that one.

Last edited:
Hey guys quick question, this 5000mhz I am seeing, is that cause of Bios auto overclocking or is that Turbo Boost. I am confused :confused:

5.0 ghz is the max stock turbo frequency for that chip. You will see some cores hit that under certain conditions but not all cores and not necessarily on a sustained basis. The turbo behavior of the newest Intel and Ryzen offerings is very complex and designed to keep the power draw within the advertised TDP envelope under ?average? computing conditions and to protect the CPU and VRM under heavy sustained loads. The actual pattern can vary significantly depending on how robust your VRM motherboard section is and how robust your CPU cooling is.

it's not the editing, its the rendering that is really taxing, sometimes hours pegged out at 100% cpu usage to render the edited video. I'd let the tests run for a couple hours, 1 hour of 4k generally takes 2 hours of 100% pegged cpu to render. Temps are also going to change if the room temp changes when the weather warms up. Premiere doesn't utilize the GPU that much at 1080p it only uses like 20-30% of my 1060 and at 4k it uses like 10%.

Back