• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me out guys! Going water cooled!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well res's work like this
in theory the bigger the res the longer it takes for the system temp to rise

extreme example:
if lake hurion was your res it would take forever to get the temps to rise

in a loop this small it doesnt make much of a difference because no one is really going to have a res big enough inside the case to make that much difference

as for the coolent... most people make their own stuff.. the most common is 75% distilled water and 25% antifreeze... also getting some biocide, non-alcoholic iodine or algecide keeps stuff from grown in your loop (you dont need much maybe 3 mls?)

for just the cpu IMHO the BIX2 is over kill... you could probably cool it with just a BIX or even a BIP. (i just happen to be selling both lol but thats another thread)

as per the fans

here is something that I didnt know until a couple of months in each rad needs a different type of fan

the BIX type rads are made for performance and visually look almost 2 X as thick as a bip... thus they need higher CFM fans to be effect where as a bip cools just find and can do it with less noise, and less powerful fans

EDIT: Clamps are kinda a personal thing some people use these
ex-tub-115.jpg

and some people use these
clp-16-w!.jpg

and still others use zip ties

as per fittings what exactly do you mean?

for tubing a lot of people go with 7/16th muskleer (or however you spell it) because they will just squeeze over 1/2" stuff and can also work with 3/8" stuff without much problem

I personally have 1/2" clearflex but kinda wish I hadda went 7/16th... maybe next time

So you think maybe a single Black Ice Xtreme 120 MM radiator would work good? I don't really want to mix it as I don't care that much. It appears I just have to mix this uv stuff with water and I am good to go.

This is my 120 MM fan out back - http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=116&xcSID=bd5aeb41c2449aac362f4d2b0ed186cb

Is this enough CFM to make good use for the single 120mm radiator?

Edit: The pci slot kit says 1/2 OD (3/8 ID) tubing. Therefore I have use that size of tubing, correct?

By fittings I mean these: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/fittingstubing.html

Will I need any of these to make my shopping cart of crap work? Lol!

ya that pushes some good air...

like I said a single rad for just the cpu is fine... if it were me I would get a second fan and sandwich the rad so one fan is pushing the air and the other is pulling... better performance then just one fan

well if you pick up 4 of the 3/8" -> 1/2" then you dont have to change your tubing size to use the pass throughs...

also the Y and T splitters are for more advanced stuff (I.e a T-line, a cpu block and has 3 in/outs or if you absolutely have to make a 90 degree turn (which you shouldnt but it can happen... i suppose you could pick up 4 90 degree angles if you wanted to simplify the outsind of your case so that the tubing simply goes straight up and down from the rad to the pass throughs...
thouhg i dont really know if thats needed

no there is no reason to go 3/8" smaller tubing means you have to have the pump set higher to get the same results (generally speaking)

looks good though like I said I would get a second fan for to pull more air through the rad but thats just me.. you should be fine with one

Ok, here's the final shopping cart image with everything so far and no tubing. How much tubing do you think i will need? 2 feet? 5 feet? And I will still need Arctic Silver 5 for the waterblock, correct?

erm your forgetting the tubing... coolsleeves are wraps that go around the tubing to make sure it doesnt kink

also is there any reason your not getting the mcres1000 that pairs up and is made for the mcp350?

A single BIX will cool the CPU, but if at a later date you want to add those 2 video cards to the loop, you probably will end up selling that rad and having to go with a BIXII. This is just something to keep in mind.

Most of us order our tubing from Mcmaster.com . Just do a search on their site for masterkleer item number 5233K44. That is 7/16"ID 5/8"OD tubing. Also, their screw clamps are excellent and I heartily recommend them "Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps" on page 229. If the hose you get is the above, then order the 5076K12 clamps. They are smooth lined and don't cut into tubing.

As far as reservoirs go, do yourself a favor and find one of these: "Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir". It is a good small res. You might have to order it directly from Swiftech as Swiftnets.com as it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Those polypropylene bay reservoirs have had problems with cracking where the barbs screw in due to overtightening which is very easy to do with those.

Well the mcres-1000 is out of stock. Also I still need Arctic silver 5 for the waterblock, correct? How much tubing will I need? 2 feet? 5 feet?

its best to get an excess of tubing seeing as how its cheap and youre going to have to pay shipping again if you need more. i would get 10-20ft depending on how big your loop is.

Since it is cheap (.38c per foot) I would order like 20 foot or so. You probably won't need on average more than about 5 feet, but you might as well spend a few bucks more while you are at it and get enough to last you through multiple changes. Not to mention that you will probably use more your first time or two setting things up. It is always better to have more than not enough. You will find that as you get into watercooling and general computer tinkering, you tend to change things around from time to time.

Ok, here's the final list:

- (12 FT) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness

- (1 pack) 430 Ss Smooth-Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp 3/8" To 5/8" Clamp Id Range, 3/8"
Band Width, Packs of 10

- MCRES-1000 5 1/4in. drive bay rack and reservoir kit for MCP350 pump

- APOGEE Waterblock

- HydrX UV Coolant

- MCP350 pump

- PCI Pass-thru kit

- Black Ice Extreme 120mm Radiator

- Swiftech cool sleeves

- Panaflo 120mm fan (two fans for the radiator)

- Swiftech MCB-120™ Radbox Radiator/fan housing - Black

Total before shipping - $243.60

since the barbs on the mcp350 are 3/8 then i would go with that unless you want to do the mod to 1/2 size barbs on them. there should be no noticable performance hit by using 3/8.

Back