• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed building a Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToxicWaffle

Hello everyone,
I came here to ask about a upgrade for my pc a while and everyone was very helpful.So I have returned to ask for assistance once again! I'm not very well informed in what parts are compatible with what and hardware in general.I followed Joeteck's "How to build a computer" thread and found components that fit into my budget.But I would like to know:
1.If there are any incompatibilities
2.If any of the parts are unreliable or if there are better priced parts that are,well..better.

Budget: 1200.00 usd

Case: NZXT Source 220 CA-SO220-01 Black Steel / Aluminum-like finish ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power supply: CORSAIR CXM series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 54W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I34150

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard drive: Seagate Hybrid Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD

Media card reader: Rosewill RDCR-11004 5.25" 2 Port USB 3.0 / 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub / eSATA Multi-in-1 Internal Card Reader w/ USB3.0 Connector

DVD burner: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Video card: GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-4GD REV2.0 GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. :attn:

Most of it looks good from what I can tell but I'm confused by the CPU/motherboard choice. Personally I would go for a cheaper (but still quality) board with an i5 cpu instead of an i3.

/edit

Also that seems like a fairly beefy PSU for a single gtx 760, could save a few bucks there as well.

Okay so with those two in place of what I had ,it should work fine right? No issues? No,"Hey you're gonna have saw out *blank* in your case to fit *blank*"? I just wanna make sure,I'm very cautious when spending this much money.

Okay so with those two in place of what I had ,it should work fine right? No issues? No,"Hey you're gonna have saw out *blank* in your case to fit *blank*"? I just wanna make sure,I'm very cautious when spending this much money.

Yes, motherboards and CPUs are standard sizes.

Okay,thank you very much for your help! I will get back to you when it has been assembled and is functioning.

If I may add, I would change the memory to 2x4g of either DDR3 1600 or 1866 ram with Cl9 timings. I would also not get the tall heatsink Vengeance sticks because you may have clearence issues if you ever get a aftermerket heatsink.

Where are you shopping? Basically the cheapest name brand sticks with cl 9 timings will do. I am just not a fan of the sticks with tall heatspreaders, only because they will usually not fit under an aftermarket air heatsink. If you have no intentions of ever buying an aftermarket heatsink, it's a moot point, just get ram with cl 9 timings either ddr3 1600 or 1866. For example the ones I linked.

Okay I'll use the 1866 ,though I have no plans of getting an aftermarket heatsink.And I'm shopping at Newegg,it's the best place I know to get pc parts.

Back