• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking x4 b50 phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blamauci

Registered
So hi.. Long time no forum visit. Last time i came here was like a year ago.

Recently i have been trying to overclock my older phenom 2 rig. Got a new motherboard that is supposed to overclock better.

I have been able to reach 3.7 Ghz. the speed im more than happy with. i just need more stability. I have got hooked at livestreaming games. And even tho this overclock is quite stable just gaming.. when streaming i always get BSOD's randomly.

here are the normally requested screens. as u can see prime 95 is running blend in the background. so the CPu is properly stressed.

Specs are in sig.

Attachments

• screenie oc.JPG
    screenie oc.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 902
You might want to look at this forum post where poster built two rigs one for his brother and one for himself. Swore that everyone else could reach 4.0Ghz on an unlocked 550BE cpu, so why couldn't he. He winds up trying two cpus and neither would do the 4.0Ghz mark AND be stable also.

But the KEY is that voltages are posted for what he finally had to run to be stable at 3.8Ghz for his cpu.

Link >>

Phenom II X2 550 > X4 B50 OC Questions unlocked to B50

You probably need to make sure that when "locked" and stock speeds, that your system is not having any problems with 'streaming'. If it is then you have more problems than an unlock and overclock.

The "Memory" tab of CPu-z is missing in your picture group. That tells is what are the current timings and the frequency of your ram. We can't tell you much until you supply us with that information. And how long are you stressing with Prime95? You would need to be able to pass a blend test for at least 2 hrs. to have any confidence that the system is stable.

oh im sorry for missing the memory tab. i thought having the SPD tab was enough.

i will upload it now.

To further clarify myself seeing my OP is quite short.

the first screenshot had Prime running for 1 3/4 hour and after i posted it ran for about 6 hours total. with no errors.

i have just set the HTT bus on this proc to 240. When i used AI tweaker 2 auto overclocking it set my proccesor to about 3.9/4 ghz which i deemed way to much and probably unstable so i went in the UEFI and put the HTT lower to get an 3.7 ghz clockspeed. The other thread u posted for me is just a cockey person which makes me wanna facepalm.

I dont want a 4 ghz clockspeed(sure i wanna but its not realistic with an unlocked proccessor.)

as u can see i set my memory divider 1 lower. so it is running below rated speeds off 1333mhz.

To clarify the BSODS im getting while streaming. it doesnt happen when locked@stock and doesnt happen when unlocked@stock.
The Bsod i get is an: IRQL is not less or equal which i googled of course and gives bad drivers the blame most off the time. but i dont have much drivers installed mosly my nvidia drivers and realtek audio and ethernet drivers. really not much more.

unlocked@stock the cpu is 12 hours prime stable. so pretty much 24/7 stable.

Attachments

• screenie 2 oc.JPG
    screenie 2 oc.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 607
Windows Blue Screen Of Death error: STOP: 0x000000xx and the last few digits of that BSOD can be different and still give the System has recovered from a serious error > DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM or a damaged pagefile.

Windows Blue Screen Of Death error: STOP: 0x000000xx and the last few digits of that BSOD can be different and still give the System has recovered from a serious error > DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM or a damaged pagefile.

Of course i Browsed some forums and it seems to be memory related a lot of the times.

I have actually gotten it stable by setting the Digi+ VRM settings an other way.

I have put some more volts on the Northbridge that was all that was needed. System is 24 hours prime stable now.

But that can't be! Our expert technology man BB2 says unless you overclock the CPUNB there is no way increasing the volts would improve stability. Remember that, RGone? He jumped on my case for suggesting such a measure to another forum participant recently whose CPUNB frequency was at stock.

oh i might have pulled a skeleton out of the closet...... omg. Well trents is totally right... raising the CPUnb volts have always been helpful in more stable overclocks on AMD since Socket 939.... Really its common knowledge. And if Rgone doesnt believe me or you. i suggest he goes ahead and has a chat with Dolk i believe he is a forum member here.

oh yes my bad. BB2 then. anyway same still applies let him have a talk with dolk.

BB2 does not have to talk to Dolk. He can talk to you now that you have found raising CPU/NB to have helped you. The problem is that with such broad reaching statements...they will always find some that the statement just does not fit at all.

I can easily see where a minor increase in CPU/NB could help in some situations and the very small voltage bump that many have suggested is not enough to cause a problem and surely could help. So I would never say n0t to try increasing that voltage. Such a small voltage increase could hardly hurt, but the good might be without precedence.

The main thing is that adjusting helped you. Since it seemed the memory could have been contributing to your problem. Adding a little oomph to the memory transfer buss, surely could have helped. Good luck man and glad you are having good results no matter how you got there. RGone....ster.

Back