• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP -=- PC wont display onto monitor -=- out of ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ISOhd

Hey guys.
A few days ago my mobo gave in (MSI 970A - G43) and the system wouldnt boot (fans +lights start for less then a sec.) so i changed the mobo to a MSI 970 Gaming and the Pc gives no Vid output. (PC specs below.)
I have tried changing the RAM, using one at a time, ect.
Tried changing the CPU. (same socket type)
Tried changing videocard, twice.
tried changing PSU,
Disconected all HDD/SSD
tried resetting CMOS.

Need a resolution ASAP as went wrong on my last minute checks for a LAN event in 12hrs (2hr drive means needs to be good in 10hrs so i need a solution in 8hrs.

Specs,
Mobo - MSI 970 GAMING
CPU - AMD FX 8320E black edition
GPU - Saphire R9 270oc 4Gb
Drives - 1 Kingston 240gb SSD, 1 HyperX 240gb SSD, 1 WD 500gb 5400rpm hdd.
RAM - 2 4gb vengance 1600mhz, 2 4gb hyperx 1600mhz
CD - cheap samsung x24 rewriter
Case - Zalman Z12 plus.

Last edited:
Hi.

Have you:
  1. With a multimeter confirmed your wall power socket is operating correctly
  2. With a multimeter confirmed your PSU is working correctly?
  3. Taken RAM and R9 to another pc (at a friend, family, work) and confirmed they are operating properly? (It'd be good if you could do this with the CPU too if poss). Each component should be checked individually (not together), so you can confirm one component before moving on to the next.

Thanks for replying :) wall socket is fine. have tried another graphics card that worked fine in another machine, and the ram was (literally) just tested in another machine, all was good. The machine worked Perfectly before the mobo died. had to happen right before an event :'(

the PSU worked fine, i even bought a replacement as my initial assumption with the first problem was the PSU. turned out to be the mobo and the psu has been replaced in this machine and no change. the amount of connectors on the PSU would take a good hr or two to check :(

did you forget the cpu 4+4 power connecter, I have NEVER EVER forgotten this myself, of course, (cough, cough).

the PSU worked fine, i even bought a replacement as my initial assumption with the first problem was the PSU. turned out to be the mobo and the psu has been replaced in this machine and no change. the amount of connectors on the PSU would take a good hr or two to check :(
They do need to be checked though...You cannot know if the PSU is good without doing ALL the tests....

Hey guys.
A few days ago my mobo gave in (MSI 970A - G43) and the system wouldnt boot (fans +lights start for less then a sec.) so i changed the mobo to a MSI 970 Gaming and the Pc gives no Vid output. (PC specs below.)
I have tried changing the RAM, using one at a time, ect.
Tried changing the CPU. (same socket type)
Tried changing videocard, twice.
tried changing PSU,
Disconected all HDD/SSD
tried resetting CMOS.

Need a resolution ASAP as went wrong on my last minute checks for a LAN event in 12hrs (2hr drive means needs to be good in 10hrs so i need a solution in 8hrs.

Specs,
Mobo - MSI 970 GAMING
CPU - AMD FX 8320E black edition
GPU - Saphire R9 270oc 4Gb
Drives - 1 Kingston 240gb SSD, 1 HyperX 240gb SSD, 1 WD 500gb 5400rpm hdd.
RAM - 2 4gb vengance 1600mhz, 2 4gb hyperx 1600mhz
CD - cheap samsung x24 rewriter
Case - Zalman Z12 plus.

970 -G43 is horrible news! It's likely that everything got killed!

Thanks for the reply's all,
will check the PSU, am going to try and use a AM3 processor as i have heard that the 3+ is backwords compattible. HOPEfully the mobo was the only issue as the Ram survived with no issues, and am hoping that the CPU survived (4th one im on. am tepted just to go intel :( expect for the horrible price for the same specs.)

all is good with the PSU, hoping out for the other CPU (AM3) bringing the same result as this means the the mobo is faulty. (Brand new today.) then Ebuyer OWE ME!!!!! my brother said i could use his machine but imho mines better. but not sure if the offer is still standing :p

Everything works with the AM3 Cpu :( MSI are dissapointing me :( selling something for the 8320 that ends up killing it!!!!!
life is going down this week.

maybe try with a different display cable instead of booting with a hdmi (if that is what you use) try going dvi as i had the same problem with my R9 270x boost card it may sound weird but it actually worked for me

Everything works with the AM3 Cpu :( MSI are dissapointing me :( selling something for the 8320 that ends up killing it!!!!!
life is going down this week.
Unfortunately, we have seen it before ISOhd. Msi boards, in AMD land have not been all that good the last few years. The 970A G43 board is a budget board at best and these Fx 8xxx processors need quality motherboards to feed it the power it needs. It's likely the VRM Power Phase section of the board overheated and failed, taking the Cpu with it. I had a couple of Msi boards fail on me using lesser Phenom II processors in the past. Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way, I personally will not buy another Msi board for my AMD processors in the future.

When you decide on what your future plans may be ask in the forums for suggestions on building a PC. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here willing to help.

Back