• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Raid 0 Windows XP x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Encrypto

Registered
Okay,

I have an AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.21 Ghz in a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P and am trying to run a Raid 0 array with 2 Seagate 1.5 TB Barracudas. Stripe size is 16k because someone told me you should only set it at that if your using windows due to a 4:1 ratio between that and the 4kb cluster size windows has...anyways my problem doesn't seem to be with any of that but during my windows installation when it asks if I want to create a partition or format the one I have both drives are only showing up as one as they should be at 2861563 MB, but when I try to hit enter to just format it it doesn't do anything...Am I supposed to create the partition at half the size of that and then format that one cuz that's what I did instead for some reason it just won't let me format the raw 2861563 MB space unless I reduce the size alot. Any help is much appreciated cuz it takes a long *** time to format these friggen things. Oh and I loaded the 64 drivers for my gigabyte raid array with Nlite directly into my OS since I don't have a floppy controller on my board.

Last edited:
Thanks TollhouseFrank for the input, but I don't believe that is an issue from what I've read of your link they explain that this is a problem in 32 bit XP, but I am using Windows XP Professional x64, there's gotta be another reason, I formatted the thing at half the size i was supposed to I believe, and my gigabyte program for raid reads the hard disks and their actual size but I'm thinking something is still wrong.

I'm not sure or where to look I have the Manual for my motherboard maybe it's in there but the more I've been futzing with this the more I think you're right anyways I just tried making another partition for Windows 7 and it will only let me use another 650 MB of my drives which = out to about 2 TB for use this is beginning to make sense to me, but I don't understand why it's doing it with Windows x64, maybe if I do the whole thing with Windows 7 and do Windows XP second? Or maybe like you say my controller doesn't support lba64. I do have 2 raid controllers 1 AMD and 1 Gigabyte I'm using the gigabyte one because I figured it would be higher quality and it only has 2 SATAII slots on it while the other has 6 SATA slots.

Guess you're right I must not have lba64 support or windows in general doesn't because even windows 7 setup won't let me go over 2048 GB, which is big enough I guess but then maybe I shoulda just bought 2x1 TB hard drives instead. Thank you for your assistance.

why not just partition off like 250gb from each and use the partition as your raid setup?

Back