• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] Will this fit in my Dell Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm, i dont know for sure. I am trying to find the size of the case, but it looks like its a minitower. Your big concern would be the motherboard. I always get full sized stuff so I dont know much about microATX and all that jazz. My guess would be that it wouldnt fit. Bust out a tape measure and see how big the space for the motherboard is.

Sorry to say it will not. You'll need a new case :(. That case is made specificly for the motherboard/componets.(can't reuse the mobo either unless its in that specific Dell 2350 case)

Most manufacturers, actually all of them basically; use micro ATX form factors, because most consumers don't want a full tower sitting on their desk. You'll need a new case, because I bought a NF7-S and tried to fit it into my HP desktop computer. Trust me, it was too small by a huge amount. The case dimensions include the area that the motherboard can't use, so you have to take that into account. I'd just pick up a cheap Cheiftec Dragon or Matrix case personally. That's what I did. Bought it for 15 bucks, with 10 bucks in shipping it made it 25. It looks great now, very easy to mod. Click on the Jade Dragon link in my sig.

I also have some suggestions on what you are trying to buy, just so you can overclock a lot, even on a budget.

1) You case first, I'd get a Chieftec Dragon or Matrix case. Here's what I've, albeit a bit more expensive.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=513720&CatId=1519

2) Your cpu, I wouldn't buy it from Newegg personally, because you won't have a guaranteed IQYHA stepping, which means you could get one that really sucks.
Check this website from time to time before you buy your cpu and see if they get a 2400 35W or a 2500 mobile with a I stepping. They are out of stock right now, but they tend to come back in fairly quickly. If you can spend the extra money, pick up the 2600+ I stepping, because you have a 100 Mhz boost of the 2500 right there, without overclocking at all. And they will reach a higher overclock generally with less voltage.
http://www.excaliberpc.com/default.php?cPath=178_186&sort=1a&&page=2

3) Your ram. Not that Corsair is a bad company, but their value ram :cough: sucks :cough: for overclocking. It will usually overclocking 20-30 Mhz. To stay in your budget, but overclock heavily, do what I and many others did. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy when they are having a Kingston DDR400 sale and pick up some Kingston Value ram. It has to be a very specific type, but it's fairly easy to pick out and fairly common. Here's what you have to look for. The two memory chips that I would pick out would be:
Hynix BT D43 chips, that look like this.
hynix-D43.jpg

Micron mT -5Bc chips.
Micron-5B(0320).jpg

You should be able to find either one in stores. Personally, I'd go with the Hynix because it will reach around 260-270 Mhz 3-4-4-11 at 2.8V. It's excellent ram for overclocking. Also, when it's on sale it's the same price as the Corsair that you are looking at, and it's a DC kit so it's even better right there. I bought mine about a month ago for 70 bucks from Circuit City.

4) And last buy not least, your heatsink. The reason I say that you should change this now is because I made the same mistake. I bought two cheap cpu heatsinks that both sucked, and ended up paying the same amount as the one I have now, and I gained over 300 Mhz in overclock with the copper cooler. Check these out.
This is the newest Socket A heatsink from Thermalright, and has gotten fairly good reviews. It's not copper, but it doesn't have to be. It's about 3°C behind the SP-97 I believe and at a 20 dollar savings. Excellent heatsink. You would have to buy a fan, buy from someone who has gone through the process, buy it now and you won't have to regret it later.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thsiforamdat.html
Here's a review on it.
http://forums.pimprig.com/showthread.php?t=29396

Again, I'm not trying to change your entire list just to be a pain. It's because I wish someone had recommended better parts the first time I built my computer. The NF7-S rev.2 is a very good choice, but you have to have the components on par with it so you can overclock to your very max. KVR ram will max out your board's fsb, your psu is what I have and is an excellent choice, the SI-97 will keep it cooler than any Thermaltake could ever hope to, and the case is big enough to expand into anything later or mod to your hearts content; it also keeps things cooler because of it's larger form factor. I ended up buying three cpu heatsinks, three kits of ram, and two vidcards because I bought cheap equipment first to "save" money and then I had to upgrade all of it later because I could overclock or even play UT or Farcry on the system. I ended up doubling my system's cost because of that mistake, and I don't want you to feel the same way. Good luck m8 with whatever you choose, but think long and hard about it because you'll have this computer for a long time.

Edit: what vidcard are you picking up btw?

Double Edit: Here's some heatsink numbers for you to stare at. Good luck finding Thermaltake near the top :D I had to scroll down for quite a while to find one.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/socketA.asp

Last edited:
Back