• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Formatting/Partitioning (SOLVED)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antonio112

Registered
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble that even ol' google couldn't help me find any information about it.
First of all, if you have seen my other posts, you see I'm building a new computer. So, the old computer I'm just gonna pass it down to my siblings. First things first however, I want to put my personal files in a separate partition so when my new PC is finished, I can just access them over my LAN network or something like that (if you guys have any other better ideas of fast media transport over two computers would be great.) But anyways, once I put my personal files in a separate partition I want to reset my computer so I can have a fresh clean PC to give to my siblings. Will this delete my files if I format/reset/reinstall Windows 8.1? And do I need to deactivate my license and reactivate it when I reinstall windows 8.1? Does someone get me and what would be the most efficent way to do all of this? And once I transfer my personal files, can I delete my partition and put it back the storage I used from it to drive C? and having a primary or logical partition affect anything? Thanks.
:)

Last edited:
I would do the following to accomplish what you want:

Build new PC.

Install OS and drivers and the like....

Pull the Hard drive from the old PC and put in into the new one. It will show up under Computer and you'll be able to access the User Profile you wish to retrieve the data from. (It may take a bit to access the user folder at first, give it a few seconds and it'll come around)

Transfer the data you wish to save.

Pop the drive back in the old PC and do a Reset. There is no deactivating/reactivating needed.

I would do the following to accomplish what you want:

Build new PC.

Install OS and drivers and the like....

Pull the Hard drive from the old PC and put in into the new one. It will show up under Computer and you'll be able to access the User Profile you wish to retrieve the data from. (It may take a bit to access the user folder at first, give it a few seconds and it'll come around)

Transfer the data you wish to save.

Pop the drive back in the old PC and do a Reset. There is no deactivating/reactivating needed.

How do you exactly reset :p (I feel so stupid for saying this but really if you really think about it theres no big red button that lets you reset everything on your computer.) And how exactly would I do that with my old HDD? Its my first time building a PC so I dont know how that works out.

Windows 8.1

To reset your PC

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

Source

Back