• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with old Pentium 4 Prescott CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zxzxzx

Registered
Hi all,

I have a Pentium 4 Prescott 2.8ghz & 3.2ghz CPUs. The mobo is a MSI 7036 with pci-e. BIOS does support overclocking and allows me to adjust some voltages but just not the things I need. In the manual, it shows a picture of cpu frequencies and multipliers but i know that Prescott's are multiplier locked and that some are even fsb locked. I used cpucool to get the 2.8ghz up to 3.4ghz without any voltage increases and on stock hsf. Some applications detect it still as 2.8ghz and some as 3.4ghz :confused: . I have read that it can go up to 3.7ghz but i am aiming for about 3.5ghz. Is there some kind of method to change voltages e.g. vid mod?

P.S. My temps are around low 40 celsius when oc'ed to 3.4ghz (idle) 55 max. (load)

The CPUs are multiplier locked upwards, but you can lower the multi if you want to.
I've never heard of or run into a FSB locked CPU.

Is vcore not an option in bios?

No, the BIOS does not allow me to change the cpu frequency or vcore but i can adjust the memory and pci-e voltages. Memory frequency and timings are also adjustable but just not the CPU.

That is a seriously weird motherboard.

If you can adjust the FSB in windows and it makes to to 266fsb (1066, depending on how you look at it) you can padmod the CPU to run that "stock".

It's the BIOS, you won't be able to do much without a differnt motherboard. I had the same chip back in the day, I tried everything, including cpucool, I never was able to actually accomplish anything.

You could probably find a compatible motherboard that does allow you to overclock for pretty cheap.

That is a seriously weird motherboard.

If you can adjust the FSB in windows and it makes to to 266fsb (1066, depending on how you look at it) you can padmod the CPU to run that "stock".

I use CPUCool and I can only get the FSB up to around 247. I need to voltmod to get it up to 266 FSB. Also, how do you do the padmod/vidmod/pinmod/bsel.

Back