• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryanlundie

Registered
I have recently installed a new gtx 560 graphics card.
All was well for about 2 months untill my computer screen would turn black and the system would still be on whenever i am playing demanding games.
I think it might be my psu i have a Apevia 500w psu.(win-500xspx)

Thanks for any help this is really frustrating me!

A. List your computer specs.
B. Have you tried an older graphics card by any chance? Like the one you replaced with the 560? If it has the same issues it may not be the PSU.
C. That said, Apevia PSU.. Hmm... Not a fan really lol.

I have recently installed a new gtx 560 graphics card.
All was well for about 2 months untill my computer screen would turn black and the system would still be on whenever i am playing demanding games.
I think it might be my psu i have a Apevia 500w psu.(win-500xspx)

Thanks for any help this is really frustrating me!

Ryan,

Apevia has a long reputation of very poor quality and it's a very good chance that is your problem. Pick something from our sticky list here in the 500W range:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Even if your power supply is not the problem, you will be doing yourself a favor long-term by replacing it ASAP.

Ryan,

Apevia has a long reputation of very poor quality and it's a very good chance that is your problem. Pick something from our sticky list here in the 500W range:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Even if your power supply is not the problem, you will be doing yourself a favor long-term by replacing it ASAP.

Came with the computer case :(.
Not that rich so yah.

pc specs as requested:

Intel i5 @ 2.67
MSI P55 CD53
2X 500GB HDD
3X 2GB DDR3 RAM

Came with the computer case :(.
Not that rich so yah.

pc specs as requested:

Intel i5 @ 2.67
MSI P55 CD53
2X 500GB HDD
3X 2GB DDR3 RAM

You're running that hardware on an Apevia (aka Aspire) PSU??
:shock:

Seriously, replace that ASAP unless you want to buy a new motherboard soon. If you can afford the other parts you can afford a decent PSU to run it.

Depending on your GPU, this is a decent unit for your hardware specs for $74 shipped (It's currently the same price as the 500W version) :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139019

I was in the same boat as you a few years back, and I used an Aspire/Apevia PSU that came with my case, right up until it shot blue flames out the back.

Last edited:
Well I have never heard of an Apevia psu, could you try a different GPU? If not I would just get a new power supply. Its probably not a very reliable power supply.

Well I have never heard of an Apevia psu, could you try a different GPU? If not I would just get a new power supply. Its probably not a very reliable power supply.

Apevia is Aspire's rebranded name. You can run a forums search for Aspire PSU and find some interesting comments (nothing good of course).

Back