• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helpneeded with OCing FX-4170 and asus M5A78L-M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X-RaveN-X

Hi all
Im still a little new with the new architecture of modern technology.I did a little upgrade 4 months ago.From 3ghz Northwood to FX-4170.I just need a little help with OCing from my Bios Side.Went entry level as i don't do much gaming cept mmo's and making music video's

Mobo M5A78L-M/USB 3(All setting on Auto in bios @ the moment)
CPU AMD FX-4170(Zalman Cooler)(Running 4.2 GHZ pushed to 4.7 before)
Ram 1xKingston 4GHZ 1600(Running @ 1867)(Planning to get another 3 of those when i have the money :D)
Case CoolerMaster Glite 430
PSU CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 500W
GFX Ati Sapphire Radeon 6570
Fan's 5x 120M Coolermaster(Cooler is better right :rofl:)

Just want to see how far i can push this baby till AMD release there Steamroller CPU Then i'll upgrade CPU and Graphics.Also if anyone could refer to which Bios Update i should use as it seems that the latest update cause some stability issue for me :X

Heads up and thanks in advance :attn:

Hi all
Im still a little new with the new architecture of modern technology.I did a little upgrade 4 months ago.From 3ghz Northwood to FX-4170.I just need a little help with OCing from my Bios Side.Went entry level as i don't do much gaming cept mmo's and making music video's

Mobo M5A78L-M/USB 3(All setting on Auto in bios @ the moment)
CPU AMD FX-4170(Zalman Cooler)(Running 4.2 GHZ pushed to 4.7 before)
Ram 1xKingston 4GHZ 1600(Running @ 1867)(Planning to get another 3 of those when i have the money :D)
Case CoolerMaster Glite 430
PSU CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 500W
GFX Ati Sapphire Radeon 6570
Fan's 5x 120M Coolermaster(Cooler is better right :rofl:)

Just want to see how far i can push this baby till AMD release there Steamroller CPU Then i'll upgrade CPU and Graphics.Also if anyone could refer to which Bios Update i should use as it seems that the latest update cause some stability issue for me :X

Heads up and thanks in advance :attn:

I use this motherboard with FX-8120 @ 3.9ghz, and have some issues regarding voltage readings but apart from that am fine.

How are you getting the chip to 4.2ghz? AMD overdrive? Perhaps you should start using the bios instead. Change the multiplier to 21x and see if you can boot it and try using Prime95 to check stability. Also, you might some better VRM cooling and they overheat and throttle without a fan or heatsink. A solution such as AMDmsrTweaker would come in handy as with this board you cannot disable APM which throttles terribly.

I recommend reading the AMD bulldozer overclocking guide as you can use it as a baseline to see how to overclock.

EDIT: what stability problems with the latest bios? I use it with no issues.

I use this motherboard with FX-8120 @ 3.9ghz, and have some issues regarding voltage readings but apart from that am fine.

How are you getting the chip to 4.2ghz? AMD overdrive? Perhaps you should start using the bios instead. Change the multiplier to 21x and see if you can boot it and try using Prime95 to check stability. Also, you might some better VRM cooling and they overheat and throttle without a fan or heatsink. A solution such as AMDmsrTweaker would come in handy as with this board you cannot disable APM which throttles terribly.

I recommend reading the AMD bulldozer overclocking guide as you can use it as a baseline to see how to overclock.

EDIT: what stability problems with the latest bios? I use it with no issues.

Hi.

Thank you For Reply.My Cpu's running standard 4.2GHZ when in use for gaming decoding etc otherwise it slows down to 1.4GHZ(Power saving enabled).Im planning to go water cooling later just not enough $$ at the moment.I've ran Prime95 for the first time today.Ran it for about 2 hours monitoring Voltage/Heat when cpu's on idle voltage runs 1.38 when running prime95 pushes Voltage up to 1.425(I think)Can't rem did it early morning.Will try AMDmsrTweaker and see if it makes a difference.Regarding the Bios.After i updated it my PC in general feels like its running alot slower(Lagging in games etc)That never happened before.Main problem is that im from South Africa and SA doesn't really do much support for AMD and no support for my mobo.Heads up im gonna play around abit and post my findings on this PC(If i don't blow it :D)And if anyone know whats the highest my cpu temp can be let me know as on 100% 4 core cpu power im running on 52 temp

Hi.

Thank you For Reply.My Cpu's running standard 4.2GHZ when in use for gaming decoding etc otherwise it slows down to 1.4GHZ(Power saving enabled).Im planning to go water cooling later just not enough $$ at the moment.I've ran Prime95 for the first time today.Ran it for about 2 hours monitoring Voltage/Heat when cpu's on idle voltage runs 1.38 when running prime95 pushes Voltage up to 1.425(I think)Can't rem did it early morning.Will try AMDmsrTweaker and see if it makes a difference.Regarding the Bios.After i updated it my PC in general feels like its running alot slower(Lagging in games etc)That never happened before.Main problem is that im from South Africa and SA doesn't really do much support for AMD and no support for my mobo.Heads up im gonna play around abit and post my findings on this PC(If i don't blow it :D)And if anyone know whats the highest my cpu temp can be let me know as on 100% 4 core cpu power im running on 52 temp

What program are you using for CPU temp? Core temps shouldn't go above 61c, so if that is CPU temp then you are fine. AMDmsrteaker disables turbo mode and APM so you will notice a drop in voltage too.

What program are you using for CPU temp? Core temps shouldn't go above 61c, so if that is CPU temp then you are fine. AMDmsrteaker disables turbo mode and APM so you will notice a drop in voltage too.

Im using AI suite as i personally think that's the best to use.Need to run HWmonitor aswell still just to double check the temp.I figured my mobo's not running stable enough(I ran my PC on 4.7GHZ before) Now it struggles to run on 4.6GHZ T.T.Running Prime95 on 4.4 and running stable with a voltage output of 1.3820v and a temp of 55.Might aswell do a warranty swapout and put some money with for a bigger/Better Mobo eventually :attn: Last thihng to try is enable asus TurboV and see if it restarts or over heat(Pushes CPU From 4.2 to 4.7GHZ)Pc restarted running on 4.6GHZ while running Prime for 5 Min so most prob gonna happen again.

Im using AI suite as i personally think that's the best to use.Need to run HWmonitor aswell still just to double check the temp.I figured my mobo's not running stable enough(I ran my PC on 4.7GHZ before) Now it struggles to run on 4.6GHZ T.T.Running Prime95 on 4.4 and running stable with a voltage output of 1.3820v and a temp of 55.Might aswell do a warranty swapout and put some money with for a bigger/Better Mobo eventually :attn: Last thihng to try is enable asus TurboV and see if it restarts or over heat(Pushes CPU From 4.2 to 4.7GHZ)Pc restarted running on 4.6GHZ while running Prime for 5 Min so most prob gonna happen again.

Your temps are fine as AI suite only records CPU temps. Voltage is really odd on this motherboard, does the values set in the BIOS appear the same as in CPU-Z?

Back