• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey everyone.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Megaman316

Hows everybody doing, I am new here and I am just looking for place to talk PCs since my old club kinda shut down. A good buddy of mine just game me this cpu.

http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/HDT90ZFBK6DGR
I currently have a GTX 460SE with a Core 2 Duo 2.3 ghz. I am running on 4gbs DDR3 1333 ram windows 7 ultimate. If anyone could suggest a good MOBO, Ram, and GPU I am open to all opinions and suggestions. Thanks alot guys, hope to hear from you soon. :thup:

What are you going to use the PC for, primarily? Do you Fold? Work related?

And what's your budget? What case are you putting it in?

Lots 'O questions that will help us help you.

I use this for PC gaming. I am a student as well but that doesn't require much. But for my motherboard and ram I am looking to spend 150 close to 200. I want to update my gpu as well but that can come at a later time for around the same price.

Do you currently have a case? Mobo's come in several sizes. Do you want to overclock? The 1090t is a good chip so you may enjoy pushing it a bit with a good/better board. Also, you'll want to be sure and cool it properly so a case that can handle a decent heatsink is mentionable.

Gaming huh? Well, you've got a decent video card now. Howza bout later? Sound card? Mobo's with more PCI-e slots may come in handy if you want to boost performance with dual video cards, or add a decent sound card although most mobo's have some pretty good audio chips. How many SATA ports will you need? USB? Different mobo's offer varying configurations.

Think this through as there are many adequate to good to extreme boards to choose from. But you'll want to fit it in your case..........which is.........?

And :welcome: to OCF !!

Hal, I caught my error almost immediately after I posted the wrong link but you must have been sitting on the switch and clicked on it before I had a chance to correct it. It's correct now. Try it again. Post #8.

Last edited:
Wow dear Jesus guys thanks. I am going to try and answer this the best way I can. Um any have a good brand for my cpu fan? I have never overclocked a cpu in my life so this will be something new for me. If I could benefit more then increase my risk yes I would like to overclock it. I have a Cool Master Wave Master case. The mobo that I have is a ATX. So its a mid size closer to full size case. I was looking into going SLI with a 500 seris GTX but its not essential for me. A sound card I will definitely get in time but I wanna get this new cpu in first to see what it can put out. The motherboards that I saw looked really good. I just hope they have them at Microcenter, I am about an hour and a half away from the only one in MI. Shout out to anyone who knows where that is. But yeah like I said I have a good basic knowledge of building my own pcs. I build them for friends sometimes but I know its always good to hear from other gamers and builders to get any help or comments and see the best option.

If I had to make a list of things to take care of after my cpu/mobo/ram would be:
GPU first. I want to look into the 560 or 570 GTX series. Both my previous GPU's (7970 and 9600 GSO) have been nvidia. I am not a fan boy of them to where I say ATI/AMD sucks but I have had no problems with them. So if anyone thinks that there is a good competitor for the 500 series for around the same price I am all ears. New hard drives would be next in line. I have a 500gb seagate SATA hard drive that is usually mostly for my movies, music media etc. I want to get a SSD for my main that has around 150+gb since that will be where most of my games will be stored. After that I figure new case and psu would be next. I really like the Coolmaster Scout and Storm. I just heard the Scout or Storm 2 just came out I cant recall off the top of my head right now. Then after all that the sound card would be the last. I had some buddies from SLP suggest some good ones fro Creative for a lil over 100 which I was all thumbs up for. The PSU would really rely on if I go SLI/Crossfire. So those I will have to look more into as time goes along.

Thanks for the support guys. I greatly appreciate it and thanks for letting me be apart of your site.

Last edited:
Back