• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

* HFM.NET - Client Monitoring Application for Folding@Home *

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Works wonderfully on here... No problems whatsoever! Better than FAHMON in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thank you Jolly and werdz! :)

Just a reminder to everyone to upgrade... there were 53 downloads of Build 10 and so far 14 downloads of Build 11.

Ca'mon... this is your teammate, the guy you know (and maybe love ;)) who built this fine and dandy tool for you all to use. Home grown right here on OCF. How cool is that!? :D Support your teammate, OCF, and Team 32... download HFM.NET

Last edited:
No, thank you H !! :beer:

And don't worry i'm sure this will apply......"If you build it, they will come"

You have & they will. :clap:

Thanks, harlam, using it and monitoring my i7 and 7750 rigs. Couldnt use it on the 7750 as the XP problem was too bothersome, so i have it on vista on the i7 and have the 2 computers setup on a network and it works fine this way.

now, if someone could figure out how to monitor PS3's, that would be sweet

It seems that HFM won't recognize UNC paths that are fully qualified (i.e. \\caracal.smartcat99s.invalid.name\folding )

FIX: Change rValidPath to use this <SERVER> clause in the regex (Forms/frmHost.cs):
Code:
(?<SERVER>[0-9]*[a-z\\-][a-z0-9\\-\\.]*)

Good deal... I'll add it. Thanks smartcat! :beer:

Admittedly... I cringe when being forced to deal with these rather lengthy regular expressions. However, I do see the addition of the dot (.) there. ;) Nice catch. :)

Now on to the really good news....

I believe I've found the problem with the UI (mostly on XP) lag issues. It's related to the text rendering engine the application uses. Meaning either GDI or GDI+.

By default when one creates a .NET v2.0 application the text rendering is set to use the GDI engine... which has some optimizations to use hardware acceleration. The GDI+ engine does not use these same hardware accelerations. .NET v1.1 applications used GDI+ by default.

There is an application specific function called Application.SetCompatibleTextRenderingDefault(): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...cation.setcompatibletextrenderingdefault.aspx that is executed before the main WinForm is created. I've really never dug into this guy or fudged with it before as I had no need to do so.

The only real drawback I can see that page mention is any future localization needing to be done to an application (it says "improve support for international fonts" so it's not like localization is not doable). Not a huge concern of mine ATM.

Still testing as I'll likely have to make some other code changes to some sections where I'm doing string measurement as I know I'm using the TextRenderer class and not the Graphics class to do so, but so far the response time is WAYYYYYYY better than before. I'd even venture to call it totally usable. :D

Great news. I too had to give up on HFM on XP as my routine monitor. I'm running it on a Vista laptop at home and at work, where there are no Vista rigs, I turn off the Primary GPU and run HFM once a day to look for failures. This fix is will let me keep it open all the time.

Benchmarking? How are you coming on this? When you get it running, FAHmon will become obsolete, and you can set up a Paypal account and ask for donations like the weatherman used to do with EMIII.

Great news. I too had to give up on HFM on XP as my routine monitor. I'm running it on a Vista laptop at home and at work, where there are no Vista rigs, I turn off the Primary GPU and run HFM once a day to look for failures. This fix is will let me keep it open all the time.

Benchmarking? How are you coming on this? When you get it running, FAHmon will become obsolete, and you can set up a Paypal account and ask for donations like the weatherman used to do with EMIII.

I recompiled what is basically Build 11 with this change to the rendering engine and went to my main rig this morning, double-clicked, it came right up. :D Now I'm not going to say that there isn't any lag, but no more than any other application whilst running GPU2- IMO. Again, I call this totally usable. :)

I like the PayPal idea... I have an account. I wonder if I could get that setup on the Google Code page. I can definitely edit that in to my forum posts... no problem.

I just posted up threads on six other forums about HFM over the weekend and have gotten some good response... so I've got a few more quick changes in the mix that some folks have asked for... believe it or not none of these folks has asked for or seemed to miss benchmarking yet. So I'm going to get these changes in with the switch of the text rendering engine (I may even add a setting in the config file to allow changing of the rendering engine - some Vista and Win7 folks might still want to use the accelerated GDI instead)... and then I'm going to do a Build 12 and ignore any other feature requests or problems until I get preliminary benchmarking support done. I have the "model" in my head... I just need a couple nights past Build 12 to start hammering out some code. :)

That Sounds Great harlam,,
but I have to say that I havent experienced any lag so far using HFM.NET Build 11 running XP Pro SP3 and have .Net v3.5 installed.

That Sounds Great harlam,,
but I have to say that I havent experienced any lag so far using HFM.NET Build 11 running XP Pro SP3 and have .Net v3.5 installed.

I believe the issue is limited to XP x64 & Nvidia drivers............As XP x64 & ATI drivers have no issue. (At least in relation to HFM.NET Build 11)

New Version: 0.1.1 - Build 12 - Beta - Download

- md5: 9b3bfc28435cd75ff94630a165614341

- sha1: b4455ad0b85d186204a7c41b76304b3699dbaabe

Change Log

• Fix: Change text rendering engine to GDI+. This fixes the extreme lag issue experienced on XP. Note: There is still some lag when GPU2 is active, but HFM is now totally usable while also running GPU2 on XP based on my testing.

• Change: Increase maximum UnitInfo.txt size to 1 Megabyte.
  • Change: Fix host path regex to accept fully qualified server names such as my.server.com (patch from smartcat99s).

• Enhancement: Add capture of Username and Team to the main grid.
  • Enhancement: Allow the log file window to be sized.

Upgrading HFM to the latest release

• When upgrading HFM, please take the new Zip file and extract it to the same location as your current install and overwrite the older files.

• The user settings are tied to the location of the HFM.exe file. So if you move or otherwise rename any directory in the path to the HFM.exe file, you will lose your custom settings. Please choose your install location wisely, I recommend a very generic folder name like "\Program Files\HFM". Settings will also not follow the application from machine to machine. It is possible to transfer them and I will post instructions on how to do so at a later time.

I am suspending any other bug fixes or enhancements (requested or planned) until I have preliminary benchmarking support working. If someone finds a show stopper, then I'll issue a quick fix... otherwise, I hope to have some benchmarking working soon.

New Version Build 12 is looking even better Harlam with the Team name / ID and working mighty Fine too!

Thank You Harlam for all your Hard Coding work,

Since it's .NET based a future goal is to also support the Mono Framework, which is an open source implementation of the .NET Framework that runs on Windows, Linux, & OS X.

There are some minor issues that need overcome... I've had one report from someone who has downloaded the source and successfully compiled and monitored clients on Linux. In it's present state, the assemblies (the released binaries) will only run correctly on Windows. I'd really like to have a single set of binaries that are capable of running under either runtime... but if push comes to shove and I have to build binaries specifically for Mono to get it to run correctly... then I will and I'll just have to compile two versions for every release.

I may look at this a little tonight as I feel the issues with Mono are quite minor... and if I can get things working I may recompile Build 12 for some folks to test on Linux & OS X. However, I'm not going to spend too much time on this right now as adding Benchmarking is my next goal. However, it may behoove me to check some things out with Mono before moving too much further down the road as it may shed some light on possible future incompatibilities between the runtimes.

Just keep you're eyes on this thread... you guys always get the news first. ;)

I think there's more than a "minor" issue under mono -- I have no PPD figures. (Build 12 from SVN, patched to compile under monodevelop, I can send the patches over PM if you want) Build 11 on Windows 7 tracks the same exact log just fine.

Verbose Log:
Code:
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM]   Starting - HFM.NET v0.1.1 - Build 12 - Beta
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM]   
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - HFM.Proteins.ProteinCollection.LoadFromTabDelimitedFile Execution Time: 12 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - HFM.Proteins.ProteinCollection..ctor Execution Time: 13 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - HFM.Forms.frmMain.ClearCacheFolder Execution Time: 2 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - No Hosts - Stopping Both Background Timer Loops
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - No Hosts - Stopping Both Background Timer Loops
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.FromXml (smartcat99s-caracal) Execution Time: 1 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - Stopping Background Timer Loop
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - Starting Background Timer Loop: 15 Minutes
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (smartcat99s-caracal) FAHLog copy (start).
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (smartcat99s-caracal) FAHLog copy (success).
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (smartcat99s-caracal) UnitInfo copy (start).
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (smartcat99s-caracal) UnitInfo copy (success).
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (smartcat99s-caracal) Execution Time: 202 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.LogParser.ParseUnitInfo (smartcat99s-caracal) Execution Time: 24 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.LogParser.DetermineStatus (smartcat99s-caracal)
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Retrieval Time (Date) ------- : 5/12/2009 9:17:42 PM
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Time Of Last Frame (TimeSpan) : 00:00:00
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Offset (Minutes) ------------ : 0
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Time Of Last Frame (Adjusted) : 00:00:00
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Prior Day Adjustment -------- : False
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Time Of Last Frame (Date) --- : 5/12/2009 12:00:00 AM
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] +  - Terminal Time (Date) -------- : 5/12/2009 5:12:48 PM
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.LogParser.ParseFAHLog (smartcat99s-caracal) Execution Time: 16 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] + HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.ProcessExisting (smartcat99s-caracal) Execution Time: 60 ms
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (smartcat99s-caracal) Client Status: Hung
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - Starting Background Timer Loop: 15 Minutes
[5/12/2009-9:17:42 PM] - Total Retrieval Execution Time: 325 ms

I just downloaded and installed build 12 this evening, and I have a problem with it also. The PPD and status of all 5 of my VM's (3 VMserver/Ubuntu and 2 not-freds USB clients) are not working. The PPD shows 0 and the status is yellow for all 5 VM's. The clients have been running for several days since the last time I rebooted them. I have tried running build 12 in both XP x64 and Vista x32, with the same results. All 5 of the VM's work just fine in build 11.

Edit: I just realized that this is also true for 1 MPICH client that I am running. Here is part of the log file:

Code:
[5/12/2009-11:21:10 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (P6N-1_SMP) Execution Time: 1,156 ms
[5/12/2009-11:21:10 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (P6N-1_SMP) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes
[5/12/2009-11:21:12 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (P6N-2_VM) Execution Time: 31 ms
[5/12/2009-11:21:12 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (P6N-2_VM) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes
[5/12/2009-11:21:15 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (W_P4D) Execution Time: 766 ms
[5/12/2009-11:21:15 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (W_P4D) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes
[5/12/2009-11:21:17 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (W_Quad-2) Execution Time: 1,219 ms
[5/12/2009-11:21:17 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (W_Quad-2) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes
[5/12/2009-11:32:17 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (P5Q_VM-1) Execution Time: 125 ms
[5/12/2009-11:32:17 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (P5Q_VM-1) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes
[5/12/2009-11:32:19 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.RetrievePathInstance (P5Q_VM-2) Execution Time: 141 ms
[5/12/2009-11:32:19 PM] - HFM.Instances.ClientInstance.Retrieve (P5Q_VM-2) Client Status: RunningNoFrameTimes

Last edited:
Build 12 is working OK on my Vista32 notebook. All in for the chimps. See the screenshot below.

Attachments

• Folding-HFM HayesK 05-13-2009.PNG
    Folding-HFM HayesK 05-13-2009.PNG
    65 KB · Views: 693
I'm having no issues running .12 under Vista. It runs OK, still slow under XP x32, but better than .10. Under XP x64, it still has major lag issues.

Back