• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and need new PC advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GravitonSurge

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section..

Assuming I didn't, let me explain what I need help with.

A few months ago, my old 1.2GHz Thunderbird system died and I've been using a 600 PIII comp. I can't take it anymore, the slowness is driving me crazy.

I've got $700 to spend on a new comp, and my old system is so outdated the only things worth keeping are the SB Live and GF3Ti500. I saw the Newegg free motherboard offer and was considering building a new system around that which could be upgraded sometime in the future (when I get more money at the end of the year, I suppose.) I want to get the most bang for my buck, but this is what I have in my shopping cart so far.

P4 2.4C Retail, 1GB of PC3200 2-3-2-6 OCZ RAM, Kingwin case, and Aspire 520W power supply.

Now my main questions are.. does that case, as stock, have enough cooling to keep my components comfortable during intense gaming sessions? (I'll be using the Geforce3 until I upgrade again.) Also, is the power supply sufficient? Same with the ram.. any suggestions?

I have little to no overclocking experience, but I'm going to read up on it thoroughly before I attempt anything. However, one thing I noticed is that this XP-120 heatsink is recommended by a lot of people. Is that overly extravagant, or will a regular heatsink/fan work alright for overclocking the 2.4C? Also, will that XP-120 only work well if I put a big fan on it, and if so, which one?

I have about $100 of leverage here, so if you have any major suggestions, feel free.

Okay.. I hope I don't sound too stupid. ;) Thanks for reading this, and thanks for anyone who helps me.

Edit: I've decided to go with the Athlon 2400+ Mobile suggestion since so many people seem to have success with it. New thread here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=326403

Please comment if cooling is sufficient.

Last edited:
Of first off if you want the most bang for ur buck , get AMD ! its that simple
get a 2600+ mobile and a nf7-s MB , cheeper and better than a 2.4 intel =)
Or even A64 for similar prices with just a lil bit more $$ but prob in your price range My chip is stock 1.8ghz = 2400+ but i run it 24/7 @ 2.6 ghz = 3800+ pr rating . Much better than a 2.4 , The Xp-120 is good and You can get nice 120mm fans that are quite and will cool your chip nice , but if your looking so save a lil bit more get the sp-97 ( very nice ) but it need a bit louder of a fan than the XP-120

Well, I considered an Athlon system before but I'm going to go with this hypothetical situation for now, using that Soyo motherboard only. What 120mm fan do you recommend?

Also another question, I tend to have a lot of windows open at the same doing, doing a lot of things. Does H-T make a significant difference there over, say, an Athlon chip?

Edit: Actually, I'll bite. Whats your current setup to hit 3800+ on that A64? That's a very big markup..

Last edited:
Ok the difference between the 2 is the "mobile" is for a laptop but fits in normal boards the reason we use these is because they are teh best of the best chips , run @ with the lowest voltage , and lowest heat , that is good when over clockign gives you more room to work with . Also the mobile chips are Unlocked so u just dont have to OC with the fsb like intel and normal Locked amds , we can sue the multi adn teh fsb to find the best Oc

here are some links , If you deside on getting one of these do some reseach on Good stepings , as will let you over clock farthers

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...frcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4181

they compeet fine i get 20k in 3dmark01 and 6865 in 3dmark03 also beat p4's in sis soft sandra

Thanks for all your answers, ||Console||.

That sounds interesting. Although the motherboard wouldn't be free, its about $15 more, which is acceptable.

Edit: Oh, and which 2400+ are you talking about? The 45 Watt Or the 35 Watt one?

Newegg is sold out of the SP-97, but assuming I got that, what fan would you recommend? The 92mm Tornado you have, or something else?

GravitonSurge sorry to tell u that the tornado is a VERY VERY loud fan so unless u r going to overclock i wouldnt look into that

another thing is that the sp-97 is being discontinued so dont hope to get one soon

Well, I'm looking for some system that overclocks well so I can save money, so yes, I've taken the loud fan into consideration.

I'm open to suggestions, the two best deals I've heard of so far are the 2.4C and this Mobile XP business.

Take note that basically everything I listed in the first post is just my general idea. Anything can be replaced, assuming I can stay within the $700 budget.

I've edited the first post with a link to a new thread I made based on the motherboard suggested. It's about cooling though, so I figure it relates to this board also. Please see first post if you want to help me =o

What kind of advice are you giving??!

Whoa! What happened to A64? There's a great post RIGHT HERE about how to get a great OC'ing A64 mobo+CPU for about $250. It'll kick the crap out of any AXP system, and you can take the rest of your money and grab a 6800 or x800 if you so desire.

From the sound of things, you don't upgrade that frequently - so I think this would be the best way to get some more longevity for your dollar.

Back